Beqa Shark Attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I petted an unrestrained male cougar once. That was enough for me.

cougar1.gif

I petted an unrestrained male cougar once. That was enough for me.
Funny cause back in my single days I petted an unrestrained female cougar as well and that was enough for me.

Jokes aside, I can see both sides of this discussion.

There cannot help but to be some change affected by feeding.

On the flip side, of the few feeding dives that I have been on I have seen the other divers I was with have their opinions of sharks change from "people eating machine" to "beautiful creatures that need whatever protection we can give it". In my humble opinion this outweighs the first problem, at least at this point. Change the perceptions of enough people and you change the world.

Having dived with Beqa last October, I'm not at all surprised by their attitude. When we talked to the manager about how the dive guides' buoyancy issues and continually grabbing rocks and stuff from the bottom, his response was, "I'm not a diver, so I don't know". When a few of our party went on an expensive fishing excursion, most of the equipment didn't work, the manger said, "I'm not a fisherman so i don't know." When shuttling us back to Fiji, the captain of our boat hit the wake of another boat and we nearly capsized. But the food was good. I cannot in any way recommend Beqa Lagoon as a diving destination. There are other operators in Fiji who do shark dives.

After Mudchick's comments, I checked TripAdvisor (there's not many places you can check for reviews on an international (for me) location) to see the general trend of comments. I noticed someone from this incident had posted this: BEQA LAGOON RESORT - Updated 2019 Prices & Hotel Reviews (Beqa Island, Fiji) - TripAdvisor - see accident handling is not acceptable thread.

The general manager replied.(could it be the same thorough individual Mudchick mentioned?). One humorous (now) comment to me was that the "operations manager didn't think the wound was so severe...". Yeah, sure, my whole head was in a 4 meter long tiger sharks mouth and only the sharks idea not to tear it off with the slight effort it would have required averted it but yeah, I'm good, you can take off. I can catch a ride. Then the "communications between all parties failed" comment makes me think, yeah,that's the same guy Mudchick saw.

Spit it out? Lots of SB members dive with tigers and they are one of the only sharks that doesn't really circle alot. They are really curious and will taste the plastic milk crate, taste your camera strobes, taste our spear guns. When they bite, it's not a trashing head jerking to tear a piece of meat off. It's a simple bite and release. But due to their size, it's a big bite and they never turn before hand. You should come dive Jupiter in May and see them, they are really beautiful to see their stripes up close

I was there in May... Saw the hammer, reefs on the regular dives. Jenny did not show on the shark dive, not to say I was disappointed as I found it distracting enough to drift with the lemons and sands :)

A diver ends up with their head in a tiger's mouth and comes out with scratch. Wow! A bad scratch and PTSD, I'll bet!! Shiver

clip from a video taken during the attack. don't know how to attach the video in the reply. If someone shows me how I'll happy to post the short video (21" long)

clip from a video taken during the attack. don't know how to attach the video in the reply. If someone shows me how I'll happy to post the short video (21" long)
You cannot upload it directly to ScubaBoard, but you could upload it to YouTube and then link.

If you don't want to use YouTube, Streamable - video for publishers works well and doesn't require an account for less than 10 min or 1GB files.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom