Seeing bubbles coming out from drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had a SAC of 24 during my last quarry dive and I think my SAC increases by 6 when I wear a drysuit.

I was overweighted as I was trying to see if I could dive with more air in my suit so that might have contributed to this high SAC.

I also noticed that as I inflated my suit air was coming out from the valve. Obviously I will use less weight next time as it may due to me having too much air in my suit: I was experimenting with putting a bit more air in my suit.

But I was wondering if you dive the valve fully open are you gonna leak air regularly and how can you check for smaller air leaks ?

I thought about getting a mirror so I could check my back. I often get insta buddies with people who like to stay in my back so that would help with this.

Do any of you use a mirror on the hand to check on air leaks or on some of your buddies who refuse to stay at your side ?

You may want to clean the exhaust valve because it shouldn’t bubble until you want it to, I normally dive fully open but if I find it dumping due to what ever moves I’m making I’ll close it a little. I haven’t used to mirror trick, which seems like a good idea but I have used my camera to Analyze where a leak may be coming from.

Do any of you use a mirror on the hand to check on air leaks or on some of your buddies who refuse to stay at your side ?
If I'm reasonably dry after surfacing, I don't have a leak. If not, there are better ways to find that leak than faffing with a mirror.

If my buddy doesn't follow proper buddy procedure, we aren't going to dive together a second time. Again, mucking with a mirror is too much faff (for me).

So, no.

+1 to everything @Storker said.

It's going to be way quicker to just turn around and do a 360 to look for your buddy than faffing around with a small mirror. If you're limited to diving with buddies like you described, think of looking for them as an opportunity to practice your helicopter kick.
I do carry a mirror but it's part of my surface emergency kit, along with a storm whistle, that I hope to never use.

If you're running your drysuit with a lot of gas, it's going to vent if your trim is head up. That's what I would look for if you have someone available to video you. There's much easier ways to check for leaks at home or at the dive shop.
I always dive with my exhaust valve wide open but I don't run it super full. The only time I close it is once I've stabilized at my deco depth and have more than 3-4min I need to hang out there.

I had a SAC of 24 during my last quarry dive and I think my SAC increases by 6 when I wear a drysuit.

I was overweighted as I was trying to see if I could dive with more air in my suit so that might have contributed to this high SAC.

I also noticed that as I inflated my suit air was coming out from the valve. Obviously I will use less weight next time as it may due to me having too much air in my suit: I was experimenting with putting a bit more air in my suit.

But I was wondering if you dive the valve fully open are you gonna leak air regularly and how can you check for smaller air leaks ?

I thought about getting a mirror so I could check my back. I often get insta buddies with people who like to stay in my back so that would help with this.

BT...

Leak test your suit...

Depending on your chosen floor surface...put a sheet/plastic tarp down...lie the suit on the tarp...seal off your your wrist/neck seals...inflate the suit...spray with a hose to get it completely soaked on the outside...fill a spray bottle with water/dish soap...completely spray the suit including crotch/under-arms and the full length of the zipper...pay particular attention to contact areas...seat/elbows/knees...watch for any bubbles which will indicate leaks...mark any leaks with soap stone...rinse suit...let dry thoroughly...

Seal any leaks by an effective method...pin-holes can be sealed with Aqua-Seal...if the zipper is leaking it will have to be replaced...

Valves...dis-assemble/clean...replace service kits if any...

At depth is the last place you should be checking your suit for leaks...

W...

Why would you dive with your dump valve open...for one thing...the squeeze will be severe at depth...secondly...at depth...you need air/argon in your suit to stay neutral...you can't add air if the valve is open...

Sounds like someone needs to take a dry-suit course...at depth is the last place you should be checking your suit for leaks...

W...

Huh? I also dive with my exhaust valve almost completely open. Maybe 2-3 clicks closed. Air is trapped in the suit regardless of your "increased pressure" at depth when the exhaust valve is lower than the air bubble. You are right, I think someone does need a drysuit course. I can do the class for you if you would like.

Why would you dive with your dump valve open...for one thing...the squeeze will be severe at depth...secondly...at depth...you need air/argon in your suit to stay neutral...you can't add air if the valve is open...
Wait, why can't you add gas if your valve is open? I dive like this all the time. If you're seeing inflation gas escaping as soon as you add it, to me it sounds like your too head up or the suit is far too full already.

Why would you dive with your dump valve open.
Because I can vent the suit by lifting my left elbow and rolling slightly to the right. When I've vented enough, I roll back and lower my elbow. Works like a charm. And as long as I'm in reasonably horizontal trim, I can add more gas to my suit than I'll ever need.

Why would you dive with your dump valve closed?

If you want to hold more air in your suit you will have to tighten up the valve somewhat or it will leak whenever it gets a little high.

I used the wrong word: I didn’t mean leak but vent.

I suspect my trim is sometimes heads up or maybe I have put too much air and vent air.

It’s not easy for me to tell if I vent air as I cannot see the bubbles coming from my shoulder.

Back
Top Bottom