SPG face is rotating. What to do with it now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crzyfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought that Juergensen Marine PSI/BAR SPG about 5 years ago from Dive Addicts. Well, the gauge face just pop off and rotating inside under the glass. It rotated to a position where a 3000psi tank reads only 2000psi. I was in Roatan at the time but luckily, the boat at a spare reg for me to use.

I'll be shopping for a new SPG soon. Is there any use of a wonky SPG? I can put an overlay of the correct pressure on the glass but it would be only a rough estimation.

Those who bought that SPG, is it still working for you?

I wouldn't rely on a " rough estimation " when it comes to the air i breath under water.

I think its time to put it to rest and move on to a new one

Get a new one like this.

C1F38587-4CBD-47C2-9794-69174E511B7C.jpeg
B40EC58B-8758-4BA7-8262-7E0C47A16075.jpeg

They are cheap & compact. I got one from LDS for $70 about 5 years ago & still working like a charm.

I wouldn't rely on a " rough estimation " when it comes to the air i breath under water.

I think its time to put it to rest and move on to a new one
I was thinking of using it as an air gauge to check the tanks in the garage. I'd never take that thing in the water! I'd be nuts.

I was wondering if I could take that thing apart just to see how it worked.

I was looking at the Highland and the one from Piranha.(minus the bolt)
20-Inch-WHITE-Luminicent-Background-wPsi-Numbers-Swivel-bolt-snap13211-7837.jpg

I can put an overlay of the correct pressure on the glass but it would be only a rough estimation.

The intact gauge is an estimation. I would use another (same) pressurized gauge as a guide and mark 05, 1 2 3,4,5 on the stainless ring. You could then use it, at least, as a tank checker if nothing else. I, and others, use a cracked-glass gauge, old reg and inflator hose as a tank checker.

Check and see if the manufacturer will swap it out, I've got gauges from the '70's up to the present that work fine, may be they are interested in how it failed.

If they don't take it, you could re-mark it and use it for non critical pressure checks, or pool use. I usually have more reg sets lying about than SPGs so I have used some questionable gauges on occation.

Bob

What he said...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom