Scubapro SPG Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting, thanks for the additional info.

The more I learn about SPGs the more I like transmitters :- ).
I've also started carry spare SPGs on trips... better to have a spare than count on price=durability is my current theory.

I carry a spare transmitter.... :)

Interesting, thanks for the additional info.

The more I learn about SPGs the more I like transmitters :- ).
I've also started carry spare SPGs on trips... better to have a spare than count on price=durability is my current theory.
For a while, I had a complete spare regulator (1st, 2nd, spg, inflator & hoses, no octo) in my save-a-dive-kit. More recently I stopped doing that, mostly to save weight in that kit.

Make sure you have spare batteries for your watch and transmitter, and any tools for replacing those batteries.

I carry a spare diver! I mean, no I don't, I'm a solo-diver :wink:

I prefer the term 'tank sherpa'.

I did have one of my Shearwater transmitters hit low battery for the first time today. It's had more than 400 dives. I'm curious what the longevity from 'low battery' to dead is on them...

The only transmitter issue I have had was a brand new one that didn't work. I'd just bought it and only found out in the middle of the ocean. Slightly annoying. But since getting that replaced they've been rock solid, Not even a momentary dropout.

Does anyone know what is the actual rate of failure of SPG vs transmitter?
Personally, I have not had SPG fail, but had one failure of Shearwater PPS transmitter a few years back. Of this is only an anecdotal evidence.
There is a separate thread queries AI vs SPG vs both. I am in a “Both” category. However, maybe I should get into 2 transmitters….

Depending on the model you either have a Scubapro gauge manufactured in Indonesian or one manufactured in Italy. I believe the Indonesian manufactured gauges have plastic bodies and the Italian manufactured gauges have metal bodies. All think all the current Scubapro SPGs have the overpressure relief valve on the back. This is something not seen on all SPGs. I find the metal case SPGs to be of higher quality. While failure is not expected after 400 dives, I am certain it is not unheard of.

Dive Gear Express has a YouTube movie on how an SPG works. They also have reasonably priced SPGs...But I don't believe any of the models have the overpressure relief valve on the back like Scubapro.

I prefer the term 'tank sherpa'.

I did have one of my Shearwater transmitters hit low battery for the first time today. It's had more than 400 dives. I'm curious what the longevity from 'low battery' to dead is on them...

The only transmitter issue I have had was a brand new one that didn't work. I'd just bought it and only found out in the middle of the ocean. Slightly annoying. But since getting that replaced they've been rock solid, Not even a momentary dropout.
Hah :)
Just to be clear, the dead battery was on the dive-computer, not the transmitter. I do have some spare transmitter batteries too in my regulator-bag, but I haven't needed them yet in 2 years, and I think I still have the batteries they came with. It might be worth replacing them anyway every couple years, because occasionally batteries corrode and leak after some time.

The story: I found some 2 sets of Scuba-pro-regs with transmitters used. The guy also had paired dive-watches (~$300 new, worth much less used) and I wasn't that interested. But he offered to sell both for $50, and then $35, and it seemed silly to not have some backup computers at $35. I did end up replacing the watch-batteries at the time, and decided to mark the batteries with the date when I installed them. It turns out the batteries lasted about 1.5 years.

This dive-computer decided to only tell me it was low-battery after I got in the water. That may be partially due to my setup (with the spg) because I always just leave my computer in watch-mode and let the water turn it on.

Here are some pics of the thingie. You decide which one is more failure proof :)
I also don't buy the "tempered glass is better than plastic" marketing. Polycarbonate is practically bulletproof, it only gets scratches, but scratches miraculously vanish under water.

20230911_082427.jpg
20230911_082547.jpg

Dive Gear Express has a YouTube movie on how an SPG works. They also have reasonably priced SPGs...But I don't believe any of the models have the overpressure relief valve on the back like Scubapro.

My DGX 2.5" gauge has the same over pressure relief plug setup as my Scubapro 2.5". Both are of brass & glass style.

Although after 2 years my DGX gauge had a seal failure a couple weeks ago and got water inside of it. So I've replaced it with a Deep6 2.5" gauge and it's got the same plug stlye setup. Of note, however, there is a slight rectangular depression shape on the bottom of the gauge's case (around where the port is) .

Curiously, this is my second DGX 2.5" gauge. The first got water intrusion just during initial pool testing. DGX didn't hesitate to send a replacement, which was my last one that last two years.

While attempting to put it back together, the atmospheric pressure inside the case kept pushing back the cover, so I suppose it's being assembled in vacuum.
You could heat up all parts. The plastic cover and the o-ring will slide into the case. Fixate all parts, let it cool down and it will be (should be) tight when cooled down.

Best wishes Jens

Back
Top Bottom