Considering a new dive computer..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They both perform pretty much the same. The Teric is a watch/dive computer and the Perdix is just dive computer. I have both - one on each arm. The first few dives with the Teric, I thought it was too busy. I then made a few adjustments to the screen display (really easy to do) and then I preferred the Teric to the Perdix, although I use the info on both at different times of the dive. I'm using the Teric as my primary. (Either one could be primary). The Teric has slightly smaller letters and numbers than the Perdix, but not significantly smaller. The compass has different presentation, but both are good.

Cheers -

I own the Teric and the Perdix. The Teric has a better screen and is just as easy to read but has a few nice improvements on the Perdix. If I had to buy just one I would get the Teric. I wouldn't consider the price difference in the decision. I'm glad my wife talked me into the Perdix three years ago when we first started diving. Selling the i300 was a good day. We got 150 used for an almost new i300 in a wrist mounted adaptor.

I’m curious is their anything else close to it?

You will find a very strong shearwater preference on SB (me included), but in the interest of full disclosure there are other computers that compete with the Perdix and Teric.

The Garmin MK1 watch style computer, it is not air integrated but has great screen and those that prefer a computer that also supports an active lifestyle (running, swimming, hiking etc) rather than just scuba prefer it.

The Mares Genius is similar to the perdix, large bright screen. Tech capable. Different algo

The Suunto EON Core and EON Steel are both well rated computers with big screens, there are a lot of divers that like them as well. Suuntos use proprietary algorithms (RGBM) that you can't see exactly how they work and are generally more conservative

The Suunto D5 is a new wrist style computer with a bright screen an AI capable.

There are a ton of reviews and comparisons of these computers on youtube and the internet writ large. Often the decision comes down to what use you have for it, what you are willing to spend, what algorithm you prefer and sometimes compatibility with existing equipment (i.e. transmitters).

Shearwater customer service is beyond good, in fact the best I have ever seen, which is not true of the other brands and their computers are top notch.

You will find a very strong shearwater preference on SB (me included), but in the interest of full disclosure there are other computers that compete with the Perdix and Teric.

The Garmin MK1 watch style computer, it is not air integrated but has great screen and those that prefer a computer that also supports an active lifestyle (running, swimming, hiking etc) rather than just scuba prefer it.

The Mares Genius is similar to the perdix, large bright screen. Tech capable. Different algo

Mares also runs 16C (same as SW and Garmin).

Different screen technologies / pros & cons but as (yet another) Teric fan ...

A big selling point for me would be SurfGF. Mares copied it from SW. SW pioneered it and it's coming to SWCloud. (GF99 is there now).

I've had Shearwaters for a number of years now, currently using a Teric with a Perdix AI taken(but not usually worn) as a backup. Along with all the other advantages mentioned, especially the display, intuitive menus, and service reputation, Shearwater will give you a standard, well-documented algorithm, Buhlmann ZHL-16C GF, and will not lock you out for making a mistake. It will tell you if it thinks you did something wrong but continue to function as a dive computer. (Most liveaboard trips I've been on have seen at least one client with a bricked computer, usually as a result of user error rather than actually omitting a bunch of required deco.) The detailed tissue loading graph will present a comprehensive picture of what the deco algorithm thinks is going on over the course of multiple days/multiple dives.

I've had Shearwaters for a number of years now, currently using a Teric with a Perdix AI taken(but not usually worn) as a backup. Along with all the other advantages mentioned, especially the display, intuitive menus, and service reputation, Shearwater will give you a standard, well-documented algorithm, Buhlmann ZHL-16C GF, and will not lock you out for making a mistake. It will tell you if it thinks you did something wrong but continue to function as a dive computer. (Most liveaboard trips I've been on have seen at least one client with a bricked computer, usually as a result of user error rather than actually omitting a bunch of required deco.) The detailed tissue loading graph will present a comprehensive picture of what the deco algorithm thinks is going on over the course of multiple days/multiple dives.
I'm honestly unfamiliar with all the different dive algorithms. I have some reading to do. I did notice everyone saying some are more conservative than others. How much difference example can on expect.. for example a shearwater and my aqua lung or what so if I where to compare them on a dive? I have to say not being locked out of your computer can be a pretty sweet advantage!!

How much difference example can on expect.. for example a shearwater and my aqua lung or what so if I where to compare them on a dive? I have to say not being locked out of your computer can be a pretty sweet advantage!!
The problem with most recreational dive computers is that they're running proprietary algorithms, which means it's a guessing game as how conservative they are, or how they will react to a rapid ascent, short surface interval, or whatever. Well known algorithms such as Buhlmann or VPM are predictable, which means your Teric running 40/85 is going to pretty much match the next guy's Ratio or somebody else's plan computed with MultiDeco on their iPad. You can make them as conservative or liberal as you like in a predictable manner by altering the GF or conservatism settings. It wasn't that long ago that dive computers simply didn't have the computing power to run the now standard models, so manufacturers had to resort to simplified models or shortcuts to get anything to market and for whatever reason didn't release the details. Suunto has probably had a half dozen variants of what they call RGBM, some running on inexpensive computers which couldn't possibly have supported the full model.

Hi, I am considering upgrading my dive computer. I have the i300c and it works fine. I have dived with buddys who have the shearwater perdrix ai and i770. The display, ease of reading in low viz and at night, the extra options all seem pretty sweet to me. I do like better the shearwater of the two. I am wondering if it’s really worth the money to upgrade to this level of dive computer for a recreationnal diver? I’m hesitant to buy anything right now thinking that maybe something new will come out with 2020 .. any advice would be great!

I'm honestly unfamiliar with all the different dive algorithms. I have some reading to do. I did notice everyone saying some are more conservative than others. How much difference example can on expect.. for example a shearwater and my aqua lung or what so if I where to compare them on a dive? I have to say not being locked out of your computer can be a pretty sweet advantage!!
Hi @Ben_3

Start out by reading about Buhlmann ZH-L16C with gradient factors, run on Shearwaters, and PZ+, run on Aqua Lungs. Buhlmann is adjustable over a very wide range from very conservative to very liberal. PZ+ is actually a proprietary version of Buhlmann that is middle of the road/moderate in the spectrum from conservative to liberal. The Shearwaters offer 3 presets as well as custom GFs. The three presets are 45/95. 40/85, and 35/75. The NDL time is controlled by the second number, called the GF high. Below, is a table comparing 1st, clean dive NDLs on air for the 3 Buhlmann presets and PZ+. This does not tell you how the computers handle repetitive dives, only the 1st dive. Buhlmann tends to be more conservative on the 1st dive and relatively more liberal on repetitive dives.

There are many additional decompression algorithms you might want to learn about if you consider other computers. In the meantime, there is nothing wrong with your i300C, running PZ+. I would be inclined to get some more experience and learn more about the computers you are considering before spending the money for a new computer. Best of luck and good diving.

upload_2019-8-31_10-58-6.png

I have a Shearwater but most of my diving is technical. While I like it, I think it is overkill for strictly recreational diving. If there is a chance of more technical diving down the road, you can buy whatever may be suited for that diving AND you will have a potential back up with your current computer. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom