Considering a new dive computer..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, I am considering upgrading my dive computer. I have the i300c and it works fine. I have dived with buddys who have the shearwater perdrix ai and i770. The display, ease of reading in low viz and at night, the extra options all seem pretty sweet to me. I do like better the shearwater of the two. I am wondering if it’s really worth the money to upgrade to this level of dive computer for a recreationnal diver? I’m hesitant to buy anything right now thinking that maybe something new will come out with 2020 .. any advice would be great!
You have a perfectly fine dive computer, spend the money on going diving. People will try to justify their own purchases, lure you with talk of going tech etc etc. You have a multi gas completely with Bluetooth uploads. All it is missing is a bright colour screen and a matching appetite for batteries. With the money you save you could do a AN/DP course and buy a bottom timer with the change.

I am curious to why a good / expensive computer would be a waste on single tank dives other than the unnecessary tech options..?

On the other hand I do dive multiple tanks just not tech yet. Maybe one day.

Single tank, recreational (meaning no deco obligation) diving has very simple computing needs. You simply have to avoid mandatory deco and track your N2 loading (and O2 exposure if you are diving nitrox) and all computers will do that. Plus they all have ascent rate indicators which can be useful learning tools for new divers. So having a more expensive tech-capable computer will not improve your dive safety or bottom time or even ability to enjoy the dive. That's why I think it would be a waste of money, it won't improve your dive experience in any meaningful way.

But, as I mentioned, it's your money and you should spend it as you see fit. Diving is a hobby, and people often enjoy spending money on their hobbies.

Now, if you are planning on technical diving someday then you should take the classes required for safely diving in the environments you choose, and at that point buy a computer that serves those needs. Many tech divers use just a bottom timer and plan their decompression dives with software on a phone or tablet. That way if your computer fails on a dive, you still know how long to stay at each stop. If your computer fails on a recreational dive (meaning you have not gone past NDL) you can simply call the dive, do a nice long safety stop, and you'll be safe. You might be inconvenienced if it's the 1st dive of a multiple-dive day, but you do not need to worry about getting caught under a deco ceiling with no data to guide you through the stops.

There is a lot of hype about various deco algorithms in dive computers, but the bottom line is that none has been demonstrated less safe than any other in recreational diving. IOW, incidence of DCS in recreational diving is not correlated with any particular brand or style of computer.

Many tech divers use just a bottom timer and plan their decompression dives with software on a phone or tablet. That way if your computer fails on a dive, you still know how long to stay at each stop.
And many technical divers do not use a bottom timer and tables, but rather use their computer, and carry a spare computer.
There is a lot of hype about various deco algorithms in dive computers, but the bottom line is that none has been demonstrated less safe than any other in recreational diving. IOW, incidence of DCS in recreational diving is not correlated with any particular brand or style of computer.
True, but rather is more to choosing a rec computer than avoiding DCS, for example ease of setting, quality of screen and display, battery changing, kinds of alarms, and -- related to the algorithm -- is it idiotically sensitive to what one does or is it more forgiving, while still being "safe."

Single tank, recreational (meaning no deco obligation) diving has very simple computing needs. You simply have to avoid mandatory deco and track your N2 loading (and O2 exposure if you are diving nitrox) and all computers will do that. Plus they all have ascent rate indicators which can be useful learning tools for new divers. So having a more expensive tech-capable computer will not improve your dive safety or bottom time or even ability to enjoy the dive. That's why I think it would be a waste of money, it won't improve your dive experience in any meaningful way.

But, as I mentioned, it's your money and you should spend it as you see fit. Diving is a hobby, and people often enjoy spending money on their hobbies.

Now, if you are planning on technical diving someday then you should take the classes required for safely diving in the environments you choose, and at that point buy a computer that serves those needs. Many tech divers use just a bottom timer and plan their decompression dives with software on a phone or tablet. That way if your computer fails on a dive, you still know how long to stay at each stop. If your computer fails on a recreational dive (meaning you have not gone past NDL) you can simply call the dive, do a nice long safety stop, and you'll be safe. You might be inconvenienced if it's the 1st dive of a multiple-dive day, but you do not need to worry about getting caught under a deco ceiling with no data to guide you through the stops.

I think you give a good explination of your opinon without taking sides. I like that. Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom