Any sense diving anywhere else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya but most of that and more can be seen in warmer water or in a more convenient location. Mola mola can be seen at Crystal Bay in Bali. Yes the water was cold but it's only for a few minutes.

True, can't see Wolf Eels but on a 3 tank day, one can see manta on first dive, mola-mola second dive and whale shark third dive whilst admiring a beautiful reef full of octopus and coveted in colourful fish, all right in OP's own backyard.

Your photos are always beautiful though maxbottom time

A few reasons to dive cold water...

Although I cannot counter the seal, Indonesia does all that and much, much more in way-warmer-than-SoCLA blue water.

That being said, your pics amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Ya but most of that and more can be seen in warmer water or in a more convenient location. Mola mola can be seen at Crystal Bay in Bali. Yes the water was cold but it's only for a few minutes.

True, can't see Wolf Eels but on a 3 tank day, 8ne can see manta on first dive, mola-mola second dive and whale shark third dive whilst admiring a beautiful reef full of octopus and coveted in colourful fish, all right in OP's own backyard.

Your photos are always beautiful though maxbottom time
Maxbottom time does great work. There are indeed some great things to see up here in the Salish Sea and beyond. I hear the diving in AK is amazing but damn that cold water gear gets heavy when you hit 50 or so. I'm keeping my dry suit just in case I want to hit the Sea of Cortez in the early spring/late winter when the blue whales are in but I'm an 80/80 diver now days for the most part.

Traveling has it's charms I guess. You can't see Sea Dragons anywhere but where they live. Same thing with Splendid Toad Fish, or many of the fish endemic to the Hawaiian chain. It's all about what you want to experience.

The cold water dives I’ve had in San Diego, Channel Islands, Monterey, Carmel have not yielded nearly that amount of beauty or visibility. In fact, I feel like I just had the best cold water dive of my life viewing your STUNNING pictures. Thanks for sharing!

I agree regarding being able to see that in Asia and more, with a few exceptions that are cold water only.

Haha cold water is a hard pass for me. I used to swear off anything <28*C. Now I've pushed myself to buy Probe's iDry 5mm, I can allow myself to go down to maybe 23 or 25*C xD

Cheap diving: I dived with Scuba Weh in Pulau Weh. $16/tank boat dive w/o gear, $18 w/ gear, usually personal DM or you only have to share your DM with another person. When there are three or four divers, they like to send out a second DM.

So I have a dilemma. Where to go for the DMT? I mostly want to do the course for cheap diving, no intention of working as a dive pro. But I still want a good education, so something at the standard of RAID rather than PADI. My initial plan was to spend a few months in Mexico next year to learn Spanish and do the DMT with Underworld Tulum. I was hoping I could do both ocean and cenote diving as part of the DMT. But if the diving there truly is inferior, would I be better off just doing my DMT somewhere in Indonesia like Komodo?

The cold water dives I’ve had in San Diego, Channel Islands, Monterey, Carmel have not yielded nearly that amount of beauty or visibility. In fact, I feel like I just had the best cold water dive of my life viewing your STUNNING pictures. Thanks for sharing!

I agree regarding being able to see that in Asia and more, with a few exceptions that are cold water only.
Thank you. Only the last two photos are from British Columbia. The rest are all SoCal. You just have to move REALLY slowly to see it or you'll pass right by.

Thank you. Only the last two photos are from British Columbia. The rest are all SoCal. You just have to move REALLY slowly to see it or you'll pass right by.

MaxBottomtime-

Have you been our way yet? You obviously love shooting macro. If you haven't this part of the world might blow your mind. Ten days in the Ambon muck and you will probably be hooked for life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom