Any sense diving anywhere else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterpurrs

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I've been reading regional posts from other famous dive locations like the Red Sea and the Caribbeans, and I keep seeing people comparing them unfavorably with Southeast Asia. People who have been to both SEA and the Carib or Red Sea seem to strongly prefer SEA.

I understand the Caribbeans is famous because it's accessible to North American divers, like the Red Sea to Europeans. So for Southeast Asians like myself, does it mean we should just stick with our region? Flying to the Red Sea or Caribbeans are both expensive and time consuming, and there's also the visa issue.

Considering those costs and comparing them with the rewards, does it ever make sense to dive outside of Southeast Asia, especially if you're on a budget? The only other alternative I've found is last minute deals on liveaboards in the Maldives, and maybe cenote diving in Mexico if you happen to be in the region. Everywhere else is usually too expensive and inaccessible for Southeast Asia-based divers.

Diving at world class spots in Indonesia is like $18/tank equipment included. Flights with Air Asia are reasonably priced usually (their ASEAN Pass has taken me to a few less popular dive places), and we have tons of budget airlines. Really, where else can we dive?
(legit complaint :p)

If you haven't considered cold water diving, you're missing half the World. If I could only dive one place the rest of my life, it would be British Columbia, Canada.

Yeah that's the one, and then some down the bottom right corner of Australia to get some temperate invigoration

Each area have something special. I have been diving all around the world and yes it is hard to beat fishes and corals in SEA but diving is not only about that :) I love the red sea, mexico, pacific, the wrecks past the coast of france, even my quarries 2hours driving from Paris have something appealing ! If you can travel, do it !

Considering those costs and comparing them with the rewards, does it ever make sense to dive outside of Southeast Asia, especially if you're on a budget? )

No.

If you do go to the West, I'd suggest to spend your time in various places like the Sierras mountains, the Rocky Mountains, Paris, New York, Florence, any of the US national Parks, the Dolomites, the Alps, Cape Town, safari in Africa .... the list goes on and on. But no reason to spend your time diving outside of SEA.

- Bill

I Love Indonesia, I'm going back for the umpteenth time this November.
The reasons are many, from yes really affordable, private guide diving in Bali, to the amazing diving in Komodo and Raja Ampat. Lembeh and Ambon have spectacular macro which I love too. I'm heading to Lembeh for the 4th time then diving Bangka for the first time. I've yet to dive Alor, though I have done the Banda Sea. Indonesia is amazing and always in my avenue of choices.

Yes I love Indonesian diving, but I am also ticking off some other locations in the world. Last year no Indo for me it was Great White Sharks off Guadeloupe, and then Great Hammerhead and Tigers off the Bahamas. And I just paid for a trip to Socorro in January. There's other destinations I'd like to try but some aren't "the season" in my window of ability to travel of Nov-Jan, as I can't break away from the farm ouside that window. One day I will add those locations.

You do talk of budget so yes living in SEA you have easy cheap access to amazing diving, count yourself lucky in that. (The Phillipines has some amazing cheap diving also).
For me now it's not just about cheap it's about the experience. The Socorro trip all in is gonna cost my pocket almost 5k for 8 days of diving. The shark trips were pretty pricey too, but they were worth it, the GWS were amazing, and at Tiger Beach I had heart pumping adrenaline filled dives that I'll never forget.

Yes, I agree a trip to Maldives if you get a deal.

Australia has something to offer every diving style....except maybe ice diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom