Kids wet suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblesmd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Divers with kids!

My kids are getting into diving and I’m wondering about exposure protection.

We’re going to be in Oahu in March (only time we had!) where the water is going to be around 75 degrees.

What thickness do you recommend for kids? Ages 10-13. Slender build.

I was thinking 5-mm but others are saying to go for 7. Just wondering if 7 would be too restrictive. Can’t seem to find a 5/7.

Any brands people would recommend?

We were on Maui last December with water temp 77. My daughter and I were in 3/2 suits and it was ok, but our dives were not deeper than 40’ and not much longer than 30-40 minutes. We were shore diving.

A lot of my diving recently is in 71 degree water and a 5 mm with a polyolefin skin underneath works fine. The skin is primarily to ease don/doff. Personally think 7mm is too much for 75 degrees, but some folks need more neoprene, but then have to deal with carrying more lead.

I started diving around their age, and honestly suits have come a long way. However i would say depending on what water temps they are used to a 2/3mm surfing rash guard would suffice, or a 3mm shortie. Ive seen kids on dive boats in NC/SC without wetsuits when the water is in the 70s. It just comes down to tolerance.

I have a very skinny 14 year old daughter and 72 degree water is 5mm wetsuit for her, where I would typically be fine with a 3mm.

A lot depends on the # of dives, and the air temp during surface intervals. If you are two dives in 72 degree water and the air temperature is 85 you can get away with a lot less wetsuit than if it is 65 degree air temperature. If you are doing 4-5 dives a day you typically will want more protection.

Back
Top Bottom