Primary or alternate donate poll

Primary or alternate donate

• Primary

Votes: 216 74.7%
  • Alternate

Votes: 73 25.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My daughter couldn't wait for class to be over, to use her own gear, and configure it "like dad does". From the first day, she said the secondary donate didn't seem the way to configure it...

Wife always had an Air2, so it wasn't too hard to change her over. Bungle was a little bit of an "issue" for her... She is still a work in progress.

I voted alternative because that would be my preference....but in reality, whatever an OOA diver grabbed would be OK. If they took my primary I'm certainly not going to make a person who's probably a little unnerved to say the least give it back. I know where my alternative is. I'd focus on the person with the problem not me and try and be a reassuring and calming hand.

You know I still have no idea what one does with an Air2. I learnt to buddy breath off a primary, not on a long hose either, just the old fashioned way but I'd really love someone to show me how to use an Air2 in case I ever do find myself gas less.

Most SBers (or at least the most active ones) seem to be tech divers or at least divers using tech configurations.
I am not a tech diver nor do I want to be one. I use a 7" long hose for primary and will donate that one (have done that multiple times to divers in distress).

I'm not representative of the general diving population
:)

My daughter couldn't wait for class to be over, to use her own gear, and configure it "like dad does". From the first day, she said the secondary donate didn't seem the way to configure it...

Wife always had an Air2, so it wasn't too hard to change her over. Bungle was a little bit of an "issue" for her... She is still a work in progress.
That's adorable. So touching. as far as daughter is concerned.
I understand the wife's issue as its the same here.:mad:

Incidentally in almost all instances when I had to donate, I saw the diver coming to me in a mad rush with their eyes wide open and looking at my primary still in my mouth. Fortunately, I've never had to be the receiver of air.

Along the same lines, I saw video by Alec Pierce today and he does not like donating from primary regulator in recreational divers. He is very knowledgeable so I won't pass judgement but all I'll say is that it does not work for him.

Well...I learnt something today...id never heard of Air2 until buying a new BCD about 5 years ago (Aqualung not scuba pro) when the sales guy asked if I wanted Air2 or not. By the "or not" I just assumed it was some new thing I'd have to learn about and said "Nah thanks".

I feel just a tiny bit stupid now lol

I am surprised at the lopsided results already. I was expecting a fairly even split. I suppose I should have eliminated tec divers from the poll as they probably fall back to the same method when rec diving. I would also venture to guess that far more divers with under 100 dives are more likely to use the alternate hose to donate.

If I remember correctly, when I did AOW with NASE primary donate was discussed in the e-learning materials and it just made the most sense to me. My rental equipment for the rest of the class was set up with an octo, but as soon as I bought my own reg set I had Deep 6 send it with a long hose on the primary.

I am surprised at the lopsided results already. I was expecting a fairly even split. I suppose I should have eliminated tec divers from the poll as they probably fall back to the same method when rec diving. I would also venture to guess that far more divers with under 100 dives are more likely to use the alternate hose to donate.

Here is an example of why you shouldn’t be surprised. Did a dive recently with a friend who is a PADI instructor who brought along someone who was certified a few months ago. I’m a rec diver and I dive 40” primary donate, my friend dives air2 primary donate, the newer diver dives octo. All rec divers, three different configurations but two of us with primary donate.

Erik

Along the same lines, I saw video by Alec Pierce today and he does not like donating from primary regulator in recreationaldivers. He is very knowledgeable so I won't pass judgement but all I'll say is that it does not work for him.
You saw the video today? Is it posted somewhere that we can see it? Thanks...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom