DIR- Generic Videos on Primary Donate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sujoe

Registered
Reaction score
Went out and bought the hoses to change my regulator setup to the primary donate, but I realized I do not know how to use it properly. Does anyone has any recommendations on videos or tutorials on how to use them properly? Thanks!

long hose routing goes under your arm. Using an elbow at the regulator helps with that. Second goes on a necklace around your neck.

To donate, grab hose right at the regulator and shove into mouth of the other person. You usually won't have to do this as the panicked little buggers usually just come up and grab it out of your mouth.

Don't forget to put the safe second in your mouth.

And then purge and breathe.

Search for videos using the keyword "S-drill." GUE.tv is a subscription-based service (25USD per month, cancel anytime, I believe), but they have some very high quality videos (with slow-motion) showing how GUE recommends doing the S-drill. The S-drill is done to practice the skill of donating a long-hose reg (and for the other diver, the skill of calmly receiving the donated reg). An actual out-of-gas donation scenario would be handled in essentially the same way as practiced during the S-drill, but obviously is not a "drill." I explain it this way because in a thread not long ago someone was apparently confused about the terminology.

The gue.tv video on the s-drill is really good! You can get a 3-day trial which should be enough to get familiar with it. gue.tv is expensive on its own but if you consider it as a part of the cost of taking a fundamentals class it's not that much. There are a lot of great videos - valve drills, smb deployment, fin kicks.

Some things that might trip you up during the s-drill:
  • Managing the light cord. If you have a corded light you'll need to manage the cord both when fully deploying the long hose and when cleaning up
  • After you donate you get side by side and swim while maintaining touch contact
  • If donor is on the left side, OOG diver puts the long hose behind the neck to avoid a kink in it (this tripped me up first time I did a land drill)
  • Donating diver grabs regulator by the hose near the boltsnap, not by the mouthpiece
  • OOG diver uses left hand to hold donated regulator.
  • I think the video above is showing slightly wrong technique. You don't use your left hand at all while donating (except to switch to backup, and do the light cord dance). I guess it's harder to do a full-deployment without a buddy that's why you need two hands. In the real s-drill you have a buddy so it's a little easier.

To donate, grab hose right at the regulator and shove into mouth of the other person. You usually won't have to do this as the panicked little buggers usually just come up and grab it out of your mouth.

There's a bit more to it than that :)

GUE.tv is a subscription-based service (25USD per month, cancel anytime, I believe),
Yes, you can cancel anytime. I cancelled mine with no issues.

The gue.tv video on the s-drill is really good! You can get a 3-day trial which should be enough to get familiar with it. gue.tv is expensive on its own but if you consider it as a part of the cost of taking a fundamentals class it's not that much. There are a lot of great videos - valve drills, smb deployment, fin kicks.

Some things that might trip you up during the s-drill:
  • Managing the light cord. If you have a corded you'll need to manage the cord both when fully deploying the long hose and when cleaning up
  • After you donate you get side by side and swim while maintaining touch contact
  • If donor is on the left side, OOG diver puts the long hose behind the neck to avoid a kink in it (this tripped me up first time I did a land drill)
  • Donating diver grabs regulator by the hose near the boltsnap, not by the mouthpiece
  • OOG diver uses left hand to hold donated regulator.
  • I think the video above is showing slightly wrong technique. You don't use your left hand at all while donating (except to switch to backup, and do the light cord dance). I guess it's harder to do a full-deployment without a buddy that's why you need two hands. In the real s-drill you have a buddy so it's a little easier.

There's a bit more to it than that :)

Yes, you can cancel anytime. I cancelled mine with no issues.
Hit the nail on the head. All I was thinking, but didn't want to write out(cuz it would take a while). You did it better than I would have.

I just noticed another small difference between the GUE procedure and the video above. During the cleanup phase, when the diver stows his long hose he looped it around the neck first, before stowing the excess hose inside the harness (or behind light canister).

GUE s-drill SOP is reverse - you first stow the long hose behind the light canister, then you untangle the light cord and only then finally loop it behind your neck.

This again has to do with the fact that the diver is demonstrating the skill by himself. In the GUE drill you have a buddy who's conveniently holding the 2nd stage of your long hose until you're ready for it.

These small differences don't matter if the OP just wants to practice with the long hose. But since you posted in the DIR forum I assume you want to know the precise details of the GUE procedure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom