Dive boat configurations pluses and minuses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You mean Arab coffee? No such thing as Greek or Turkish coffee. You're always welcome.

Hunh?

Big difference between Arabic coffee and Turkish coffee.

Yeah, I agree... until the first customer starts puking... then it spreads like bad flu. :popcorn:

True but they don't have to do more than turn around and do it over the side, which would not be the case if divers seated centre

Hunh?

Big difference between Arabic coffee and Turkish coffee.

Nope. Just the coffee grounds boiled in water. Unless my goddaughter's family from the West Bank are doing it wrong. Arabs spread coffee from Ethiopia to the Ottoman Empire.

Hahahahahaha!!!

You mean Arab coffee? No such thing as Greek or Turkish coffee. You're always welcome.

If you go ahead with your project in Greece, you can bet that I'll be coming to dive with you every other month :)

This is a video of a day boat that I've enjoyed many hours upon. Probably a bit hard to see exactly how it's set up but there's interior shots beginning and end. I'll also add some single photos, in hopes that helps:

Screenshot_20191024-143231_TripAdvisor.jpg

Dive dhoni from Maldives that I've also spent many a wonderful hours aboard (and of course below her!)

Screenshot_20191024-143106_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20191024-143021_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20191024-142941_Chrome.jpg

I've been diving this family of boats for 25yrs

full.jpg

most importantly is the tanks sitting at the same level as the diver or a bit higher and not in a trough

full.jpg

The owner of this boat and his minions took the inch thick hollow tiled soundproofing comfortable decking

to the dump

to save on petrol

but didn't clean the hull for over a year

[Mods: this is probably the wrong place, please move to the appropriate forum]

To all the boat captains, dive op owners, instructors/DMs who worked off different boats,

What are the tradeoffs between the configuration of having scuba kits mounted to the perimeter of the inside of a boat and the center being open vs. having benches back to back in the center of the boat for the scuba kits?

The purpose of this question is to help me make a decision for my future dive op in the Greek islands. Boat needs to handle some swell, up to 6 meters (though I won't put in customers in that). Because the islands are small, I may need to get through some chop to get to the leeward side of land to find some calm. But in general, my customer will enjoy a nice relaxing boat ride to/from the dive sites.

Edit: This would be for at most 12 customers with at most 4 pros leading (so 1:3 ratio).

A Cat provides a nice stable platform, although I've never known the swell around the Greek Islands to particularly warrant it. Which specific location are you looking at? Always loved Greece; the people, atmosphere, language, food, sea, scenery, not to mention a cold Mythos or two. What's not to like! Ever since my first trip to Lindos with my parents in the 70's it's always been a wonderful place to holiday. Very jealous!

@chillyinCanada,

That's a beautiful boat. A little smaller (for 16 divers max, 12 customers, 4 staff) and we are good to go.

@BurhanMuntasser,

You dive a rebreather? I have a general location of the location of ancient shipwrecks that I will search for. I'll eventually be providing helium. I'll have a pair of Suex dive scooters. We search until we hit our planned end of the dive or we find something.

@Graeme Fraser,

There is one liveaboard company in Greece (I know the owner) that uses a Cat. The Aegean can be pretty angry in August. In the 90's when they still had the rust bucket ferries, I was laying down on the deck while all these people around me were hurling over the side. The sound of all that made me a little nauseous to be honest.

I'm thinking of the Kyklades, around Naxos. It is the biggest of the islands in the area, much greener than the surrounding islands due to it being relatively higher peak (wife wants this), fairly developed (wife wants this). Nothing is set in stone. I have a potential partner line up, but sooooooo much needs to be worked out in the contract and reaching a true understanding of how things will work. There's a long process to know what I'm getting into before I pull the trigger. My potential partner and I have agreed on stages as we get established.

Marketing will either be a challenge or a cinch. It all depends on if I can pull off this film project with one of the Cousteau grandchildren.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom