What camera is much better for video than a GoPro for < $2000?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaveSloth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I thought I would use my old RX100 II but then I realized that its video resolution is actually much less than the GoPro's 4K. :(

I briefly considered upgrading to a newer RX100 VII or even the RX0 but the video recording times on those are quite limited compared to the GoPro.

What camera has much better image quality for video than the GoPro Hero 7/8 Black, longer video recording time and costs less than $1500 or $2000 including underwater housing?

If I can't beat the GoPro for underwater video for less than $2000 including housing I will just stick with the GoPro.

Well that's the problem. The camera isn't all that much money, but the housing and the lights will most certainly exceed your $2000 budget.

Water proof isn't all that difficult. Pressure proof is another problem entirely.

-Charles

Here is my current GoPro setup with dual 2600 lumen 120 degree video lights. I am just looking to replace the camera with something better.

pdggWGw.jpg

If you are looking for better than gorpro 4K on 4K capable cameras, you are only really going to get it with better lenses on 4K capable cameras which will likely push everything past 2k inc housing etc ( camera would probably need to be under $200 :) likely anything in the same price range is going to be a negligible improvement for the price.

If you want better than 4K you are looking at 4K raw with the Nikon Z7 or dropping tens of thousands...

they have a sale on the brand new Hero Version 8. I am excited to hear some reviews of the new camera. Might be time for me to upgrade, finally.

Blackmagic has the pocket cinema (micro 4/3 I believe) that does 6k for $2400 MSRP. Maybe you could find one used. Dive housing might be difficult for that. There's a handful of brands selling 8k video cameras, but those are truly expensive.

they have a sale on the brand new Hero Version 8. I am excited to hear some reviews of the new camera. Might be time for me to upgrade, finally.

DON'T DO IT!

Cave Diver Harry says that the video quality isn't better than the 7. Get the 7 and save some $$$ or wait till the video is better in the 9 or 10!!

Harry's review below:

I like the sealife micro series. It is less than $600. It is setup and programmed for underwater use (unlike the gopro). It is in a permanently sealed housing, so there is no risk of flooding! You can add a video light if you want. They take great video with better colors.

You should keep your eyes out for a used Panasonic GH4 setup. I've seen some people who are upgrading to the GH5 selling GH4 UW setups for around your price. It might be hard to get the body, decent lens, port, and housing for $2k, but it's possible. You definitely won't get a wide angle lens/port AND a macro lens/port for $2k, but you might get one or the other. Or you might get a 14-42 standard setup and then shop around for WA/Macro later. The GH4 is legendary for video and has no time restrictions, etc. There seem to be a lot of people getting out of Micro 4/3 right now, so maybe that could work to your advantage.

Back
Top Bottom