White powder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob4321

New
Reaction score
Hi, just bought a new aluminum tank, had it filled with a 38% mix. After dive, I noticed white crystals/powder on the first stage. I then checked the cylinder valve and once I opened it a milky substance starting come out with the pressurised air. Is it an issue of moist air in the fill or could the cylinder be suffering from corrosion albeit being new? thanks for any help re this query :)

I would look in the cylinder. I hope it’s not the cylinder itself but could have come from the fill station.

I’ve found some pretty strange things in cylinders. Spaghetti noodles comes to mind.

I would look in the cylinder. I hope it’s not the cylinder itself but could have come from the fill station.

I’ve found some pretty strange things in cylinders. Spaghetti noodles comes to mind.
Ok now I have to ask. Why do you think? Did someone put them in there thinking they would act like rice in a salt shaker?

Ok now I have to ask. Why do you think? Did someone put them in there thinking they would act like rice in a salt shaker?
I can’t even imagine.

What was the answer? I am a Tank cleaner at my LDS. If that happened to one of my tanks after an LDS got done I'd be pissed for sure. White powder and Al 80 sounds to me like Aluminum OXIDE which is harmful to humans for sure. Was just wondering what the out come was?

click·bait
/ˈklikbāt/
noun
INFORMAL
noun: click bait
  1. (on the Internet) content whose main purpose is to attract attention and encourage visitors to click on a link to a particular web page.

I sure am glad I'm immune to such things as click bait.

Back
Top Bottom