What’s the difference between junior open water diver and a open water diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joschka

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I did a dive course with SSI two years ago, I was 14 at the time and I got my junior open water diver certificate, what’s the difference between that and a open water diver, was it just because of my age or do I need to do another course

Students younger than 15 years old will be certified as a Junior Open Water Diver and must dive under the direct
supervision of a dive professional or with a certified adult in environments equivalent to their training and within the
recommended depth limits.

it automatically upgrades once you get older.

I believe you needn't spend the money to get your Jr. Card changed over, just proof of age if someone needs to see it. Could be mistaken. Those cards can get a little expensive.....

Check with SSI, I couldn't find jr OW on the SSI site, but some of their shops mention some training and a dive are necessary to upgrade. It may be different than PADI jr OW, which has no requirement, but age.

Bob

Per the current SSI Standards:

Junior Certifications

All students under the age of 15 that complete an SSI program will receive a Junior Diver rating for that program.

Training Centers can upgrade Junior Certifications when the student turns 15 years old. Printed cards may be ordered and purchased through their local Training Center. Update the student’s dives, photo and personal information in MySSI before printing the new certification.

The actual upgrade is free - it'll cost you a couple of bucks if you want a physical card though, vs just relying on the digital 'card'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom