Advice on Dive Operators in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mushm0m

New
Reaction score
Hi all,

I hope this post is allowed!

I am a rookie diver (certified but only have a few dives) visiting Cozumel for 2 days of diving. I will need a refresher and then want to do a few dives, one of which I want to be a night dive.

Does anyone have recommendations for dive operators that are noob-friendly?

I'm currently considering between ScubaTony and Tres Pelicanos.

I would give Pelagic Ventures a call. Totally chill and very personalised dive service. They don't have a shop and rely solely on word of mouth referrals. Mary and Pauline are great people and will take care of you every step of the way.

Do a search..spend some time researching the various threads, form an opinion and then ask again...there are so many operators in COZ to satisfy whatever your requirements will be.

For the most part I liked Aldorra, and thought 6 out of the 7 days I spent with them were very professional and I'd rate them highly for safety. There was an American guide - Rich - who was a pleasure to dive with, as was Memo who (I think) owns the place.

The one day I wasn't happy we had a lousy DM & boat captain combo. The DM was one of the most surly people I've ever met. He didn't give a dive briefing, he led from the front without paying attention to the group, and I surfaced early at the agreed spot to find the dive boat had f*cked off to shore while we were down below and didn't return until the last minute leaving me floating solo out in the blue for almost 10 minutes.

The night dive I did with them was good, except the guide was too enthusiastic in his search for marine life to show us. My lasting memory of the dive was of him pursuing and blinding a poor octopus who was desperately trying to find a dark place to hide in. The guy wasn't intending to be cruel, but someone needed to tell him not to blind the animals, and my spanish wasn't up to the task.

But those were two dives out of maybe 15, and the rest were very good.

edit: iirc my local club uses Tres Pelicanos and rate them pretty highly

Agree with @flyboy08 to do a search here on SB. I would also look at TripAdvisor as you tend to get more reviews from newer divers (at least it seems to me.)

The 3 times I have been diving in Coz (so I'm not an expert) have been with 3 different ops, all of whom would have been noob-friendly - in terms of they could provide separate DM's for different level groups on the boat so no one was forced to either do, or be held back from doing, something at a particular dive site (simple example - some divers go deeper while less experienced stay higher.)

I don't think you can go wrong in a choice of dive op in Coz but, no matter who you choose, don't be afraid to let them know your experience/comfort level and that you would like a refresher. Email them in advance to see what they will do for you.

We dive with Aldora and usually have a good experience. However, if you are an experienced diver I would recommend asking for Nitrox to improve your chances of getting on a boat with simallar level divers.
Rich, Steve, Miguel, Sharif are awesome DM's. Gato is probably my favorite Captain. They should rename him eagle eyes.
If you are a beginner or intermediate diver I would recommend "Diving with Christina". They very patient and explain things very well to novice divers. You dive with three DM's and they allow you to dive your tank. They have a DM at the front and back of the group. If someone burns through their air they can come up early with one of the DM's. The added plus is they serve you a great lunch one the surface interval.

Hi all,

I hope this post is allowed!

I am a rookie diver (certified but only have a few dives) visiting Cozumel for 2 days of diving. I will need a refresher and then want to do a few dives, one of which I want to be a night dive.

Does anyone have recommendations for dive operators that are noob-friendly?

I'm currently considering between ScubaTony and Tres Pelicanos.
Just about every one of the bazillion dive ops on Cozumel are well equipped to deal with new divers. You might consider hiring an additional DM to accompany you, especially if you are traveling and diving alone. That's something else virtually any op on the island can set up for you.

I have used Dive with Martin and really like them. Great prices and excellent DM's
RichH

Welcome to the world of Cozumel diving. Got DAN dive insurance? Pretty essential, especially if you're traveling alone. Why only two days on the island?

Just about every one of the bazillion dive ops on Cozumel are well equipped to deal with new divers. You might consider hiring an additional DM to accompany you, especially if you are traveling and diving alone. That's something else virtually any op on the island can set up for you.
THIS, the best answer.

The one day I wasn't happy we had a lousy DM & boat captain combo. The DM was one of the most surly people I've ever met. He didn't give a dive briefing, he led from the front without paying attention to the group, and I surfaced early at the agreed spot to find the dive boat had f*cked off to shore while we were down below and didn't return until the last minute leaving me floating solo out in the blue for almost 10 minutes.

The night dive I did with them was good, except the guide was too enthusiastic in his search for marine life to show us. My lasting memory of the dive was of him pursuing and blinding a poor octopus who was desperately trying to find a dark place to hide in. The guy wasn't intending to be cruel, but someone needed to tell him not to blind the animals, and my spanish wasn't up to the task.
That's an unusual report for this Op. I do hope that you reported both experiences to the owner?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom