January - where to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Samsam

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all,

I have an unexpected gap between jobs this January and am looking to take advantage and do a special scuba trip - so looking to crowdsource some recommendations of where might be best to go

Unfortunately I get quite seasick, normally fine for boat diving as I'll take some meds but not sure I'd survive a live aboard sadly (they do sound amazing), so looking for places that are good for resort diving.

In terms of background, I've been diving sporadically over the past 5ish years but have only clocked up c.30 across Europe, Thailand, and Red Sea. While I'm AOW qualified, would still class myself as fairly novice given that apart from some slightly rougher conditions in the UK the rest have been warm with good viz.

Initially was thinking of Raja Ampat / Palau or French Polynesian islands but have been reading around the forums and they all seem to have currents in common, I'm not adverse to the idea of drift diving but wanted to:

a) Check with a bunch of experienced folk like yourselves that it would be safe to dive there at my level (would be shame to go all that way and get spooked and stuck on the beach)

b) Whether I'm overlooking any other places that would be great in January?

Thanks in advance!

Sammy

I just finished a week of diving in Saudi Arabia and really enjoyed it. Completely chill environment with mostly shore dives but boats do go out on Fridays to the various wrecks.

January's not a bad time for the Maldives. Take your pick from several hundred idyllic desert islands.

If you can afford to travel to SE Asia then I'd suggest Bali in Indonesia or Cebu in the Philippines.

Check out Emirates Airlines for flights to these destinations from UK. The diving is fairly economic there and plenty of shore diving opportunities.

January's not a bad time for the Maldives. Take your pick from several hundred idyllic desert islands.

Liveaboard for Maldives. Oh wait, seasickness and 2 months . . . That won't work.

I'll second Searcaigh. Bali. It can be a bit rainy from time to time but not cold. Prices for accommodation, particularly in Padang Bai, hard to beat. Plus there's lots of other things to see on non-diving days.

Pulao Tioman, Malaysia. Bamboo Hill Chalets located in Kampung Air Batang (ABC). Incredible setting, super affordable accommodations. Food in the village is amazing and cheap. No cars, something like 8 dive shops to choose from.

Bamboo Hill Chalets | Tioman Island

Ugh, closed for the monsoon season until Feb. 1. Nevermind but keep it in mind for the future. I love these guys.

Hawaii is also really wonderfull in January. Lots of turtles and some nice wrecks. There are many dive sites at about a 10-15 minute boat ride from Waikiki. Shore diving options are a bit more limited, although there is some great shore diving at Hanauma Bay.

We are heading to Bonaire on the 18th and I absolutely cannot wait! There is an abundance of shore diving and the boat trips are very short. The Southern Caribbean seems like it might be an easier flight for someone traveling from London than Pacific Ocean destinations.

Grenada has direct flights from London

How much time will you have and what is your approximate budget excluding airfare? Will you be traveling alone or with a companion?

Places like Bonaire with a lot of shore diving are great but as a newish diver you would probably need a dive buddy; also in some situations you may find better rates for double occupancy versus solo so it is helpful to have more information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom