Dropping a spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plastic ones drop to, a little slower but they go down. In the movie below they explain a nice way to keep it safe without having line loose next to you.
It works great.

ps. The only reason I know is because people told me, I never dropped a spool :)

Good tips!

I usually cross the line around the spool as soon as I have deployed the SMb to avoid that problem... (a trick I've learn during my Tec45)
Just remember to undo it as soon as you're back on the boat, or you might have problem the next tome...

Coud you elaborate?
I knew it was coming... :D

I really don't know if it has a name, but I'll try to explain (this is if you're right hand, but I'm pretty sure it works also if you're lefty): after the SMB is deployed, keep the spool in your left hand. With the right hand, put the back of your hand on the line, push it to your right and twist it down-upwards. Now you have a loop around your hand. Place this loop around the spool (where the line is). The line is now stopped by this simple "knot". If you let the spool go, it won't go anywhere. If you have to ascend, recover the line, and repeat the operation.
Back on board, undo the line, and untie the knot(s).
Hope is clear.

I knew it was coming... :D

I really don't know if it has a name, but I'll try to explain (this is if you're right hand, but I'm pretty sure it works also if you're lefty): after the SMB is deployed, keep the spool in your left hand. With the right hand, put the back of your hand on the line, push it to your right and twist it down-upwards. Now you have a loop around your hand. Place this loop around the spool (where the line is). The line is now stopped by this simple "knot". If you let the spool go, it won't go anywhere. If you have to ascend, recover the line, and repeat the operation.
Back on board, undo the line, and untie the knot(s).
Hope is clear.
Yep, got it. Thanks.

You're welcome!
I'd suggest you to try it a couple of times outside the water, just to get use to...
Also, with gloves in harder.

@rabe why are you tying knots around your spool instead of just using the bolt snap to secure it?
In case you don't have one, you drop it, you don't want to use it, etc etc
Once you have mastered this system it is so much easier, faster, simpler and cleaner (in my opinion)...

In case you don't have one, you drop it, you don't want to use it, etc etc
Once you have mastered this system it is so much easier, faster, simpler and cleaner (in my opinion)...
I always have a double ender on my spool, it's how it's attached to me. I also always carry at least one spare. I honestly can't see how tying knots around your spool then having to unwind it on the boat to untie the knots could be easier than doing it the boltsnap way, each to their own though.

I usually cross the line around the spool as soon as I have deployed the SMb to avoid that problem... (a trick I've learn during my Tec45)
Just remember to undo it as soon as you're back on the boat, or you might have problem the next tome...

i can’t imagine dropping it while holding it during a stop. If it’s a long stop I use a double ender.
I did drop it once on the surface while putting it back into my pocket. It was clipped on the pocket loop but it did unwind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom