VIP Inspectors: Identifiable vs Identified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it seems the brunt of this argument is that a sdi/tdi 5 star facility is not accepting a sdi vip card , I found out about this because a call from someone at tdi/sdi HQ they are aware of this problem

OK, SB, so who called SDI/TDI HQ? I can tell you one thing - I didn’t. It didn’t even occur to me to do so.

I would say they might just be interested in the thread these people can and do motnitor SB....and it could be called a standards breach but im not sure

Agency really isn’t the issue in this one. The policy applies to ALL independently inspected tanks.

this is a blow back of transparency on SB we have seen it before

actually it does course was sdi stores sdi instructor on the course is sdi

I think the way around this is WE ONLY ACCEPT OUR STICKERS FOR VIP < YOU CAN DO YOUR OWN VIP WITH US USING OUR GEAR OUR STICKERS

I see the current drama as being two powerful and opposing ideas that have been brought together by @Marie13's morphing of this thread.

1) My compressor my rules.
2) I got certified by an 'accepted' agency, hold a valid card, and play by the rules. I am ENTITLED to a 'no questions asked' fill.

Can't be both. I see the card as an indication that I might know what I'm doing. It is all about the gained knowledge, and I gained a ton during Steve's course. I remember dreaming of those damn cylinders...

So I'm going with "my compressor, my rules" as the determining factor. AND "hey, I have a current VIP inspector's card from a reputable source".

So can we talk about me inspecting my own tanks and you filling them??? Works for my new LDS...

. . .

So I'm going with "my compressor, my rules" as the determining factor. . . .

Hypothetical question: Would SDI/TDI continue to recognize a shop as a "5-star SDI/TDI facility" if the shop refused to fill a tank of a diver presenting a TDI/SDI c-card?

:stirpot: :cowboy:

IMHO, they would be perfectly justified to call the diver on this if they were that hard-ass of a shop. Their compressor, their rules.

@abnfrog teaches an exhaustive and comprehensive 'hands-on' VIP Inspector course. He knows that his card should be good anywhere, so do I. But how would any shop know that every other instructor does the same? How many times have we heard on this board "It is the instructor not the agency"?

Edit: Life is full of compromises, this is the only reasonable way to resolve this issue (that I can see).

Back
Top Bottom