Weightbelts, why does everyone hate them so much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. Mine is a normal bp/w, nothing special. I'm just having a hard time visualizing the webbing and the belt sitting harmoniously together without causing issues.
When I had a belt and bp/w, the bp/w waist strap sits across at my waist. The belt typically crossed right below that so I could theoretically pull both at the same time without trouble.

For me though the belt always shifted so always had to pull it out from under my bp/w strap to undo. Your body shape is likely very different and might not give you that problem.

I understand your point. If you want to route the strap under the weightbelt and go to that extra trouble, I think that is fine. I found it more troublesome to perform that extra step. And talking rec no-deco.

However, I think a rescuer is taught to release a weight belt buckle and then do what? Watch it fall, or are they taught to then grab the belt and pull it away from the victim and make sure it is clear of potential entanglements, like wetsuit pockets, a clipped of catch bag, a knife worn on the thigh etc. I don't ever talk to people about ditching my weight, but it should not be that hard to just pull it away from the victim before dropping it, even with a crotch strap over it.
Yes, the step of running the crotch strap under the weight belt is extra trouble in gearing up. With no D-rings or tri-glide on it it is not much trouble.

Yes they are taught to pull it clear, then drop. But this is not a potential entanglement. It is put between the body and a strap that is deliberately pulled tight. And the belt has several lumpy things on it that also cause the free end to hand down at an angle from the body and that strap. I would not want to bet that pulling it will free it, without figuring out why it was held up and working the weights past. So their first rescue step is going really wrong at this point. If they dive a back plate they likely realize the crotch strap is the issue and can free that with the hip belt. Which they could pop free with their other hard and slide the end out, if it is set that way. Or drop the weight belt end, use both hands and hope it got free. Or pull out their knife/cutter, if they have one, and cut the belt behind the diver. None of these look great.

Bob's point of cutting things is very applicable. My rig comes off easily but I tell my buddies cut me out. But I say that about my rig not my weight belt. And 'cut them out' is not the default starting point students are told or practice. Plus if you just cut stuff you may cut away the BC and leave the weight belt that was under it. Which is the order they are told to avoid. Cutting both belts, on any remaining sides of the buckles would work, for which EMT shears are great. Or cutting any crotch strap you see.

From being a DM candidate I may just be sensitive to not violating what we teach divers, unless I have good reason. This does not seem a case of needing to.

I have not read this whole thread. I am personally not against them. My issues at this point in my diving is that with a BPW and crotch strap, a weighbelt isn't all that ideal.

Amazing this thread came up.

I haven't dove a weight belt since OW. Up until now it's all been integrated. I just started diving dry and sometimes solo. The other day I wanted to check my rig with all its weight for any leaks before diving. I lowered it in from the pier and wouldn't you know it with it fully inflated it still wanted to sink! Now here I am with the rig being held by one hand in 40f water wondering how in sam hell I'm going to get this thing back up....it was not fun at all. If I dropped it it was sinking 50' or so. Thankfully it all worked out.

So I started thinking I need to move some weight around and here's this thread.

Does anyone have (or is willing to share) pictures where your weight belt sits along with the bp/w? In my mind I just feel like they would be on top of each other?

My wife says I have a nice butt (to hold a belt)... so I guess I'm good there:)

If your BCD does not have enough lift to float your weights when fully inflated, you need one with more lift capacity!

I was initially certified in 1984 using a weight belt, after switching to a weight integrated BCD in 1991 the only time that I have used a weight belt is when teaching classes or PADI standards required it! I love my integrated weights and would never go back to a belt!

If your BCD does not have enough lift to float your weights when fully inflated, you need one with more lift capacity!

Yeah, I'm not sold on that though. It's a 35lb wing. This is the 1st time I've realized it didn't have enough lift but it's also one of my 1st drysuit dives.

I don't think I need a new wing, wouldn't that be a gear correction for a trim problem kind of thing? I think I need to shift a few lbs to a weight belt and put it on me. As of now, I wear no weight on my person and I'm probably over weighted to begin with (again, getting used to the ds).

I think it was 24lb lead weights, 5lb bp, and full 100cf steel....I guess I was thinking the wing was magic...tbh, after looking at the #'s, I clearly wasn't thinking about anything at all....

Remember that you are also going to lose buoyancy the deeper that you go, if your dry-suit fails it is possible that you may not have enough buoyancy to ascend without ditching weights! With that much weight in your system you should probably have a 65 pound wing, especially if you are diving deep.

Remember that you are also going to lose buoyancy the deeper that you go, if your dry-suit fails it is possible that you may not have enough buoyancy to ascend without ditching weights! With that much weight in your system you should probably have a 65 pound wing, especially if you are diving deep.

No Sir, these dives are very benign in nature because of getting used to the ds.... just going through growing pains. Quarry with a hard bottom @ 60'. I'm only slightly over weighted, but with no air in BC and suit relatively empty I can swim up from 45' no problem.

I don't think I want ditchable weight in the sense that I think I'll ditch it, a lot of "S" would have to hit the fan before that point, hopefully I know to call the dive before all that happens (hopefully), but it would still be nice to be able to ditch some (myBC does have ditchable weight pouches as is). I agree with @Eric Sedletzky being able to slip out of the rig without corking to the surface or struggling to stay down would be ideal....

No Sir, these dives are very benign in nature because of getting used to the ds.... just going through growing pains. Quarry with a hard bottom @ 60'. I'm only slightly over weighted, but with no air in BC and suit relatively empty I can swim up from 45' no problem.

I don't think I want ditchable weight in the sense that I think I'll ditch it, a lot of "S" would have to hit the fan before that point, hopefully I know to call the dive before all that happens (hopefully), but it would still be nice to be able to ditch some (myBC does have ditchable weight pouches as is). I agree with @Eric Sedletzky being able to slip out of the rig without corking to the surface or struggling to stay down would be ideal....
I use a 35 VDH which actually has about 41 lb of lift, my dive rite 35 has 43#. The dry suit Buoyancy will maintain fairly consistent and your compressed neoprene should have very little change at the depths you’ll be diving. My shell suit flooded not to long ago with a neck ring coming unbonded and with the foam based waterproof 3D undies I didn’t notice much buoyancy loss at the end of the dive, about 65 minutes in 55° water, I was cold but not freezing (note a 1 1/2 inch vent at the highest point on a drysuit is not a good idea), some aquaseal solved that.

I don’t worry about floating my rig because I don’t dive out of a kayak or a zodiac in cold water, in warm water the aluminum Freedom plate rig with 6 to 8 lb easily floats with the VDH 18 (actual lift 22) for cold water I have the SS FP weighted with an additional 7lb, 10lb one the top band and I use Zeagle trim pouches on my belt with 17 to 22 lb depending on suit and layers of insulation. If I have need of ditching weight the Zeagles can do that and drop 8 to 11lb per side, if I need to ditch the whole rig I don’t care if it floats or not, it can be recovered later, I certainly don’t want a bunch of lead strapped to me in that situation, ditch vent and go.

I use a 35 VDH which actually has about 41 lb of lift, my dive rite 35 has 43#. The dry suit Buoyancy will maintain fairly consistent and your compressed neoprene should have very little change at the depths you’ll be diving. My shell suit flooded not to long ago with a neck ring coming unbonded and with the foam based waterproof 3D undies I didn’t notice much buoyancy loss at the end of the dive, about 65 minutes in 55° water, I was cold but not freezing (note a 1 1/2 inch vent at the highest point on a drysuit is not a good idea), some aquaseal solved that.

I don’t worry about floating my rig because I don’t dive out of a kayak or a zodiac in cold water, in warm water the aluminum Freedom plate rig with 6 to 8 lb easily floats with the VDH 18 (actual lift 22) for cold water I have the SS FP weighted with an additional 7lb, 10lb one the top band and I use Zeagle trim pouches on my belt with 17 to 22 lb depending on suit and layers of insulation. If I have need of ditching weight the Zeagles can do that and drop 8 to 11lb per side, if I need to ditch the whole rig I don’t care if it floats or not, it can be recovered later, I certainly don’t want a bunch of lead strapped to me in that situation, ditch vent and go.

I'm not sure I'll ever really have to float my rig until the day comes that I find myself having to float my rig. The other day is a small example. Off the top of my head I could also see if someone was in trouble floating the rig and swimming to their aid (just throwing out ideas). I'm just saying I can see some benefit to a.) having ditch-able weight, b.) having a balanced rig between person and rig, and c.) being able to float the rig.

I carry a cutting device on every dive and hope to never use it...but it makes sense to have it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom