Madison Blue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Is Madison Blue a good beginner cave? The entry with the magnetic In/Out sign is sort of weird. How is the flow? It is classified as a first magnitude spring, but all the videos I see how the divers swimming and not the pull of glide of Ginnie.

Based on my research, all of these are good beginner caves in Florida:
  • Bozel Spring
  • Buford Spring
  • Ebro Blue
  • Ginnie (Devil's Ear)
  • Ginnie (Devil's Eye)
  • Hole in the Wall
  • Jackson Blue
  • Lafayette (Blue Spring)
  • Lafayette (Green Sink)
  • Lineater / Stevenson
  • Little River
  • Madison (Main)
  • Manatee (Catfish Hotel)
  • Peacock (Main)
  • Peacock (Orange Grove)
  • Telford
  • Twin Cave
  • Wakulla (Cherokee Sink)
  • Wakulla (Clearcut Sink)
  • Wakulla (Emerald Sink)
I don't have my cave cert yet but I am getting it soon. Been putting this list together by reading websites, watching videos and asking experienced Florida cave divers for feedback. All of these places are known to have good typical visibility and are less likely to silt out, not requiring excessive depth or passing through restrictions. Some of them require a boat to access them. Only dive these sites if you have a Cave certification and run a continuous line from open water!!

Madison is a good cave for a beginner cave diver. Flow is noticeable but manageable. Last time I was there, the gold line started outside the overhead so you can elect to use it, or there is enough room to run your own if you want to practice. If I remember, you are apprentice so you can follow the GL or you can take the jump to the Gozilla room about 200 feet in.

I am not sure what the magnetic sign is. Arrive with full tanks as Dive Outpost, the nearest shop is 45 minutes away.

Is Madison Blue a good beginner cave? The entry with the magnetic In/Out sign is sort of weird. How is the flow? It is classified as a first magnitude spring, but all the videos I see how the divers swimming and not the pull of glide of Ginnie.
The In/ Out sign is not at the entrance of the cave.

Madison is a good cave for a beginner cave diver. Flow is noticeable but manageable. Last time I was there, the gold line started outside the overhead so you can elect to use it, or there is enough room to run your own if you want to practice. If I remember, you are apprentice so you can follow the GL or you can take the jump to the Gozilla room about 200 feet in.

New NSS apprentice so no jumps until I get more training in.

The In/ Out sign is not at the entrance of the cave.

About how far down is it?

New NSS apprentice so no jumps until I get more training in.

About how far down is it?
Rocky Horror requires a jump to get to it so you won't have to worry.

Great cave for 32%

Plenty of gold line, good for a beginner.

Flow can be very high, but I believe it has been down for the past several months.

Madison is a great cave for your level. The gold line stats in ow, so run a line for practice, but you won’t have to fear you won’t find it. There is also a secondary entrance right by the gold line called the rabbit hole. Use that entrance on the second dive. A large part of Madison is rock bottom, so less silt worries, but parts are silt bottom. The flow is manageable currently and not awful. Less than Ginnie and Little river as of my last dives. It’s definitely a must dive at your level. The area you’re thinking of with the clip board is rocky horror. You won’t get anywhere near it.

I am not sure what the magnetic sign is. Arrive with full tanks as Dive Outpost, the nearest shop is 45 minutes away.

Lake City Dive Center is probably a closer option if you need fills.

I have been following CaveSloth’s classification of caves, and sort of get what he’s trying to accomplish, however I don’t really like the term “beginner cave”. There are certainly cave that should be considered “advanced” or are absolutely NOT for beginners. ie Alachua/Mill creek.. many of the caves on his list has the potential to to be very advanced, Or relatively moderate dives for a novice cave diver. I have seen Little River kick the butt of experienced full cave divers. But it’s also used as a training site. Same with Ginnie/Devils. You have a mixed back of easy and pretty challenging, just depending on choices you make and your specific experience level.

Telford could be considered a relatively easy dive, but requires you to either jump a gap within the first 150’, or run a very long primary to get you past the sink. That as well as logistics of a getting there from the boat ramp make this a little more challenging that some.

Emerald, as a “beginner cave”. ...I don’t think so...

bottom line, I wouldn’t think a list of “beginner” caves is terribly useful at face value. Your really need more information on each site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom