Nitrox Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Discouraging someone from using Nirox in Bonair (where it is typically no extra charge) seems silly. It's quite easy to rack up a big N2 load diving there if your not careful. 32% is not for deep diving, it's for conservative and extended NDL shallow diving.

SSI doesn’t seem to have the restrictions similar to PADI. I believe it is 20m to complete an OW certification and and then 30m after the first 4 dives. There is an SSI deep water course for 40m...
During the last trip DM was strict on using PADI rules. However, my SSI advanced diver (just a distinction for 4 advanced courses and 24 dives) qualifies me for AOW to dive without restriction, although one is not equal to other. Go figure. Where is a SCUBA police when you need them

SSI doesn’t seem to have the restrictions similar to PADI. I believe it is 20m to complete an OW certification and and then 30m after the first 4 dives. There is an SSI deep water course for 40m...

PADI restriction is a reading comprehension test. The rules are the same, SSI's just better at English, that's all.

I appreciate reading everyone's comments on my post, which was made somewhat jokingly. When I got my AOW the depth restriction 130'/40m in any water. To state so emphatically the limit and medium was amusing to me. I'm apologize to the OP for hijacking your thread and I guess my humor was misplaced.
To the OP: IF you want to take the NITROX course it will benefit you in your diving career. Dive safe and HAVE FUN!

Cheers - M²

I appreciate reading everyone's comments on my post, which was made somewhat jokingly. When I got my AOW the depth restriction 130'/40m in any water. To state so emphatically the limit and medium was amusing to me. I'm apologize to the OP for hijacking your thread and I guess my humor was misplaced.
To the OP: IF you want to take the NITROX course it will benefit you in your diving career. Dive safe and HAVE FUN!

Cheers - M²

wholeheartedly agree

I saw the humour too, was surprised by everyone’s emphatic overexpression of meaningless nonsense.

M2’s post is the first one that really answers the OP’s question without a bunch of other garbage.

get the cert. go dive. Have fun.

In trying to answer the OP -- 1. You can't do it all online, you at least have to show up to a class to demonstrate you can test the contents of the tank. 2. If you think you will dive regularly, you should go ahead and do the Nitrox class -- you will eventually be glad you did it.

I did it right after OW, and haven't used Nitrox a lot, but have been glad to have the card the few times I have. For most recreational diving situations, you will just be watching someone else test the tank, sign a sheet saying you saw them do it, and absolutely being careful to remember what your maximum operating depth is.

I would definitely do Nitrox but with a few notes:
1) Don't shorten surface intervals excessively. Personally I would go for an absolute minimum of 1Hr SI no matter what gas I am diving (air or Nitrox). You need to allow some time for offgassing between dives. As a sidenote, a number of dive computers will actively punish you for short SI (less than 60minutes) by dramatically shortening NDL.
2) Nitrox will generally be safer than air (bearing in mind the Maximum Operating Depth or MOD of the gas). Nitrox slows your nitrogen uptake so for 2 otherwise identical dives you will have less nitrogen on board with the nitrox.
3) Nitrox can be used to get longer dives however your nitrogen loading will go up.
4) You need to watch your CNS O2 exposure level particularly if doing a large amount of dives.

Nitrox sounds like a magic bullet but it doesn't make doing tons of dives risk free. You will still feel tired especially if doing shore dives.

Take the class. Remember the important stuff. It's a big ocean out there down to about 130' or so then it gets smaller pretty fast (for most of us recreational divers :)). Go have fun. Enjoy Bonaire. Gotta luv dive freedom. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Most people fail to understand that even when running up to NDL, you will come out of the dive "cleaner" with 32% than with air. This is due to the lower partial pressure N2 in the shallow and safety stop portions of the dive. So it's not "longer or safer" its "longer and safer". If you stay shallow long enough you will even be in an "ON Gassing" state after the dive. That is not to say, that risk is completely removed.

My wife is OW certified and has no intention of getting AOW. She refuses to dive anything but Nitrox.

To the OP- It's a no brainer, do the online portion at home and spend a half hour finalizing your cert when you get to Bonaire. You will not regret it.

Back
Top Bottom