Nitrox Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More like you should let this experience humble you enough not to go around bashing people who lost money on investments you might not have chosen. If you need another analogy, or smaller words, let me know.

Your analogy is irrelevant and senseless. According to you, I should take the experience of losing a ton of money in the stock market because of COVID-19 as a humbling one and not criticize people who invested their money in other ways. Why would I criticize or even care about how other people chose to invest their money unless it's wasteful and foolish such as spending money on Nitrox for dives under 30 feet?

Maybe the poster's wife will stop wasting money on Nitrox if they too lost a lot of money and/or income due to the crisis.

That's the long answer to your question. The short answer is, sure I'll take another analogy but not from you- as you don't know how to use analogies correctly but thanks for trying, the effort is appreciated even though it landed well short of it's intended mark.

Not wrapping my head around your point. I just lost over $500k in the stock market due to Covid-19, should I now say "I might as well burn the rest of it?"
He just meant to say that many people in scuba spend money on things that are not so logical so why not let people spend money on Nitrox if they want to without judging them.

On a separate point, I always difficulties with absolute losses in markets. I do not know what 500k$ means to you: I always find it more meaningful to say for example “I lost 15% of my equity” rather than I lost 500k or a million ... who knows what that means to you ...

He just meant to say that many people in scuba spend money on things that are not so logical so why not let people spend money on Nitrox if they want to without judging them.

Ok but that's still faulty logic. "Officer I blew the stop sign and I am not disputing that but why ticket me?? Look at all those people speeding by at 20 mph over the limit!"

I'd also like to see examples of "illogical dive gear". In order to qualify for the purposes of this thread it has to be at least as useless as a Nitrox tank on a 30 foot dive.

I always find it more meaningful to say for example “I lost 15% of my equity” rather than I lost 500k or a million

Agreed. It's also considerably less painful.

There has been much discussion on SB about feeling better after diving when using Nitrox. I don't care what the science says or what the majority think. When I dive Nitrox at any depth I am not as tired as when I use Air. Before Nitrox I would dive for two days (maybe 5 dives), and I would need to take a day off. Last summer on Nitrox I dove 12 days straight and used Nitrox on 29 out of 30 dives. I felt great.

Let’s not forget that there are DCS risk factors beyond depth and time, including but not limited to: age, fitness, hydration level and more.
I am old and out of shape, but I do hydrate. Age and Fitness are another reason I use Nitrox.

I just lost over $500k in the stock market
If you didn't sell you didn't lose a dime. Your net worth statement looks different, but your wallet size didn't change.

Cheers - M²

There has been much discussion on SB about feeling better after diving when using Nitrox.

There is a lot of value in knowing you're diving Nitrox. The placebo effect can be so strong that people get better when taking the control when doing clinical studies. When the human body thinks it's getting a remedy, it reacts accordingly.

Saline can sometimes even cure cancer.

Before my week dive trip to Roatan last Oct, my friend who is nirtox certified highly recommended getting nitrox certified. Its something ive been wanting to do and since i had the time before the trip to do it, i did it. I did it with a local dive shop and it was a piece of cake! This was actually the first strictly "dive trip" I've been on. My diving before were mostly during vacations to the Florida Keys, Mexico, California, Hawaii, where i would mostly do two morning dives every other day or so . I do recall, using air, being very tired after the morning dives and the felling of a great workout! In Roatan I really dove a lot, at least 3 dives a day, and sometimes 4, i logged 16 dives in 5 days that week. I must admit i was no where near as tired after a day of diving using nitrox as i remember being using air...I did want to use air one day to really see if there was a difference but never did. I am very happy i did the certification!

There has been much discussion on SB about feeling better after diving when using Nitrox. I don't care what the science says or what the majority think. When I dive Nitrox at any depth I am not as tired as when I use Air. Before Nitrox I would dive for two days (maybe 5 dives), and I would need to take a day off. Last summer on Nitrox I dove 12 days straight and used Nitrox on 29 out of 30 dives. I felt great.

I am old and out of shape, but I do hydrate. Age and Fitness are another reason I use Nitrox.

If you didn't sell you didn't lose a dime. Your net worth statement looks different, but your wallet size didn't change.

Cheers - M²
If you need to withdraw from investments for money to live on you must sell some. Everyone has their own situation. Fortunately, (for those old enough to remember) I was still working on Oct. 19, 1987 and for a few years after.

[QUOTE="Kelton,

Not wrapping my head around your point. I just lost over $500k in the stock market due to Covid-19, should I now say "I might as well burn the rest of it?"[/QUOTE]

My reply--

Agree, as I'm pretty close to your situation as well. Really has nothing to do with Nitrox. I could have millions and only use Nitrox when it definately benefitted me regarding bottom time and other reasons (how much I paid for a charter that day, etc.).
There are many things people spend money on that I would never consider.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom