Regulator Options for GUE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

usf330

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am very new to diving but am jumping into GUE with a friend who is a more experienced diver and we are taking Fundamentals in May. I will be buying a Halcyon Infinity backplate but am not 100% set on the Halcyon Regs at the moment as there are so many options to choose from. I wanted to get recommendations on 1st and 2nd stage setups that will allow me to continue in GUE without much change in the future if I decide to go Tech 1 in a year or two. I really like the Aqua Lung Legend but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You don't need Halcyon regs to go the GUE route...
Are you diving single tank or doubles?

Yea I knew I didn't need Halcyon regs but have heard good things about them. I will be diving singles and just want some real world input on what would be a good setup to get me a few years down the road without any change.

No Requirement for Halcyon regs to take GUE training. They are however are decent regs. Is your plan to take Fundies in Doubles?
My suggestions for Regs - Get something that routes the hoses nicely for both Singles and Doubles (Something with a 5th port is good for that), So Halcyon H75P, Scubapro Mk25, Apeks FSR or MTX etc.

If you're thinking Halcyon, then get the H75P first stage, one Halo second stage and one Aura, then when you switch to doubles, just buy a second H75P.

HTH
John

I took Fundies with Aqualung Legend regs in a single tank config. They are great regs and I still have them for single tank (mostly travel) diving. When I moved on to doubles, I got a new set of regs - Apeks XTX50 / DST. They are also great regs and I also got one as my deco reg. If you want to upgrade your single tank regs rather than buying new when moving to doubles, consider the Apeks. I just don't like swapping hoses so I like to keep a set for single tank.

The Apeks DST has an option for a 5th port, but the port conversion kits were backordered when I got my regs. My instructor said it wasn't really necessary and we set the regs up for my doubles without the 5th port. I've been diving them for 2 years and decided not to get the 5th port upgrade after all, although others may feel differently.

@Hartattack below has an excellent point - always run any purchase by your instructor first. They may not like a piece of gear for an unforeseen reason, or may have a better option for you.

Hi USF330,

I have Halcyon regs, and they work great. However, as many have said—Halcyon is not an end-all; be-all for GUE training. I've found Apeks XTX 50's and Scubapro MK 25's work well, and even the Apeks Tec 3 double and single tank package also work. Nevertheless, there are many options, and it would be best to consult the instructor of your class before going out and buying something some person on the internet told you about (I'm more of the buy once, cry once mentality). I hope this helps, and have a blast with Fundies! Cheers.

I wanted to get recommendations on 1st and 2nd stage setups that will allow me to continue in GUE without much change in the future if I decide to go Tech 1 in a year or two. I really like the Aqua Lung Legend but any input would be greatly appreciated.
With Tech 1 in mind, you'd want to get your reg in DIN rather than yoke.

As for the Legend, there have been incidents where its auto-close device failed shut mid-dive - something to think about if you want to use it for technical diving.

Halcyon is certainly good quality, as are Scubapro, Apeks, etc. Halcyon does not seem reluctant to charge top dollar, either, and the question could be asked (and often has been asked) whether they are over-valuing the Halcyon brand name. Your Fundies instructor will not give a hoot what brand your regs are, so long as the hoses are the proper lengths and routed properly. And as far as regulators, what works for most other tech training also works for GUE; GUE does not have any special requirements.

I'm frugal and don't like the idea of spending more than necessary to do the kind of diving I want to do. Do a search here on SB for threads discussing Deep6 regs as being good value and user-serviceable. I have HOG regs, which were developed with a similar philosophy, but if I were buying again today I might go for Deep6. A 5th port does make hose routing easier.

. . . Nevertheless, there are many options, and it would be best to consult the instructor of your class before going out and buying something some person on the internet told you about . . . .

I agree completely. However, I would add that the OP shouldn't be surprised if his instructor gives only general advice and seems reluctant to endorse any particular brand. I suspect GUE instructors are aware of the myth that GUE instructors push Halcyon over other brands and so they do everything they can to avoid perpetuating that myth.

I agree completely. However, I would add that the OP shouldn't be surprised if his instructor gives only general advice and seems reluctant to endorse any particular brand. I suspect GUE instructors are aware of the myth that GUE instructors push Halcyon over other brands and so they do everything they can to avoid perpetuating that myth.

Yeah, that's a great point. My thought process was the instructor would help him find the right reg for the job, e.g., piston, diaphragm, routing, and port concerns, etc. brands may come up, but it would be more or less as to why they choose the regs they do. To add, I decided on the Halcyon reg package from EE because I know it will show up to my door Fundies, Tech 1, Cave 1, etc. ready. This choice is one reason I love the standardized gear philosophy of GUE and can trust what EE sends me will work and prepare me for any future class I take. It helps me focus on the training, and that is one less piece I have to worry about heading into the classroom.

Back
Top Bottom