Dive holiday solo freaks me out...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nasenbaer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So me and my girlfriend have a trip booked to Bali (Amed) and Komodo (Lob). With all the Corona-panic in Europe it looks like there's a good possibility that she's not going to be able to enter Singapore (transit airport) or Indonesia. I am already staying in Singapore so it's not going to be a problem for me.

IF she can't come I still want to go diving (and we've already paid part of the fee) but the thought of diving "alone" without her freaks me out as I've never (on our 30-ish dives) done it before.

How do you guys & girls who travel solo do it? Are you comfortable with the random dive buddies you get assigned? (No offense to the random dive buddy :wink:)
What if you get one who doesn't take safety seriously? What if your buddy goes one way under water and the DM the other way?
Am I being to scared?

Great questions... Now you have to answer them.

My answers may not fit you. While you decide I would suggest to Cha he one of your statements from :
What if you get one who doesn't take safety seriously?
To:
Am I ready to deal with a buddy that may try to ruin my dive and potentially my life?
Many divers are ready for that, are you?

I've had THOSE buddies... have a chat with whomever you pair with and vocalize your intent to stick near the DM. Ultimately the DM is your best dive buddy. Size up the group at the shop when you're all getting ready and figure out your pairing before the boat.

On some trips where I frankly just don't trust the other divers I've shelled out the extra $$ for private dives... essentially you get your own DM and paid-for buddy.

Also remember you can buddy up with a pair of divers and dive as a trio. Nothing says you can only have one buddy.

I took a dive trip solo in 2010. I told them I was solo and they buddied me with the DM.

Around here I'm single so I dive with who ever wants to go diving. I start with low key easy dives so we get to know each other. I've made friends and now have people I dive with regularly. I'm still always up for others though being retired now I have a weird schedule.

I’m single and don’t have a partner although I do have a few regular buddies. I’m passionate about my diving and want to do it all the time. I’ll show up on our local boat and dive with pretty much anyone.

Great questions... Now you have to answer them.

My answers may not fit you. While you decide I would suggest to Cha he one of your statements from :
What if you get one who doesn't take safety seriously?
To:
Am I ready to deal with a buddy that may try to ruin my dive and potentially my life?
Many divers are ready for that, are you?

Good point! I guess yes, but I've never been in the position.
As @CanadaDan says, the easy way out is paying for a private DM.

I've had THOSE buddies... have a chat with whomever you pair with and vocalize your intent to stick near the DM. Ultimately the DM is your best dive buddy. Size up the group at the shop when you're all getting ready and figure out your pairing before the boat.

On some trips where I frankly just don't trust the other divers I've shelled out the extra $$ for private dives... essentially you get your own DM and paid-for buddy.

Also remember you can buddy up with a pair of divers and dive as a trio. Nothing says you can only have one buddy.

Hi Nasenbaer,

This is your money post above.

Don't worry about your "assigned" instabuddy. As Canada Dan wrote, tell the instabuddy that you are going to be the DMs wingman and he/she should take up the same position on the other side of the DM.

Many recreational divers don't care about the buddy system because they don't think anything will happen to them. They become complacent after many dives. Don't worry about them. Stay with the DM.

Watch the DM. DMs are usually good divers. Emulate them. You will learn a lot.

As you gain experience and your log book grows, consider a Solo Diver course and a Tech 40 course (I did it in rec gear). You will learn about redundancy and taking care of your own bad ass self.

In reality, the buddy system isn't what you learned in OW. That was cool propaganda. Welcome to the real world.

Am I cynical? Probably. I really don't care what my instabuddy's attitude is toward the buddy system. I dive self-reliant on every dive. I totally reciprocate when I have a good buddy.

cheers,
markm

Try not to worry. Many people to on diving holidays alone and the vast, vast majority don't have any issues at all.

As suggested, stay in the guided group and close to the DM until you gain confidence in yourself and your new found buddy. Also, remember your training and thoroughly test your kit first and carry out a proper buddy check. That, good situational awareness and regular SPG checks during the dive, should keep you safe and relaxed. Also as previously suggested, let the DM know you're a bit nervous and they'll keep an eye on you.

Anyway, stress not and have a fantastic holiday. As a single traveller you may just meet a lifelong friend!

So me and my girlfriend have a trip booked to Bali (Amed) and Komodo (Lob). With all the Corona-panic in Europe it looks like there's a good possibility that she's not going to be able to enter Singapore (transit airport) or Indonesia. I am already staying in Singapore so it's not going to be a problem for me.

IF she can't come I still want to go diving (and we've already paid part of the fee) but the thought of diving "alone" without her freaks me out as I've never (on our 30-ish dives) done it before.

How do you guys & girls who travel solo do it? Are you comfortable with the random dive buddies you get assigned? (No offense to the random dive buddy :wink:)
What if you get one who doesn't take safety seriously? What if your buddy goes one way under water and the DM the other way?
Am I being to scared?

N...

Keep in mind...random as you call it is a two way street...you're a random stranger...to a random stranger...

W.M...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom