Quiz - Rescue Diver - Common Cause of Diver Emergencies

The most common cause of diver emergencies is:

• a. hazardous marine life

• b. poor judgement

• c. equipment failure

• d. bad dive planning

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went with dive planning, but I suspect poor judgement could cover it.

'It was poor judgement not to plan the dive'

'The dive plan didn't account for poor judgement'

Or is that the same thing?

Poor judgement can be stretched to cover almost anything. It's an easy answer, but I suspect not particularly helpful. Of course, this is basic scuba.

I went with dive planning, but I suspect poor judgement could cover it.

'It was poor judgement not to plan the dive'

'The dive plan didn't account for poor judgement'

Or is that the same thing?
I think poor judgement covers a lot - with exception of equipment failures that occurred despite all the checks and balances and exception of marine hazardous life injuries that occurred despite following all the guidelines and using appropriate behaviors... I think the key is a “most common cause”. Just as someone else mentioned earlier in this thread - most of the adverse events that were self-afflicted in my life in or out of the water were caused by poor judgement... sounds like a good answer for this question :wink:

ritamaebrown1-2x.jpg

Yeah, I put poor judgement for the reasons all mention. I did think about d. poor planning. Not a bad question because it says "most common cause".
Would be even better if the other 3 choices were ,like, diver's experience level, change in weather, etc-- obvious uncommon causes. But, I'm not complaining.

Everyone has those ”hold My beer moments” where you simply fail to game it out to its logical conclusion. A good plan will only last until something interesting glitters in the sand or an unexpected something swims by. Poor planning occurs topside, poor judgement can occur anywhere.

Yep. One can certainly do an excellent job at planning a dive in comfort. However if the conditions say turn around and plan to dive some other day, it's poor judgement that throws you into the water.

Poor judgement can be stretched to cover almost anything. It's an easy answer, but I suspect not particularly helpful. Of course, this is basic scuba.
It’s a bit like saying that accidents happens because of things that the victim didn’t expect :)

I think the preferred answer is basically correct, but there’s surely a PADI CYA factor baked into it.

I picked poor judgement because it is not a single aspect of the dive. the trait of poor judgement starts at planning and continues through out every decision you make during the dive. Poor judgement IMO is the trigger to the rest of the other answers.

Back
Top Bottom