Quiz - Physiology - Poorly Adjusted Regulator

Breathing from a poorly adjusted regulator or swimming against a strong current may cause ___.

• a. rapid, shallow or labored breathing

• b. hypercapnia or excessive CO2

• c. overexertion

• d. all of the above are correct

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this is an interesting question, especially if you are to add nitrox into the equation. Does risk increase as PPO2 increases? If you are exerting yourself should you set a lower PP02 than 1.4 to be on the safe side?

This should not even be a question.... dont dive with equipment that is not up to the task you are asking it to perform. If you have a badly adjusted reg get it serviced or learn how to adjust it properly.

Strong current is subjective... dont dive if the current is too strong for you. talk to you dive guid or ask locals for knowledge on currents and or tides before you go diving and know you limits.
I don’t have a lot of experience with rental gear, but a reg that breaths fine on the surface may seem fine. When you hit a strong current and your exertion increases and you are breathing harder, the inadequacy of the regulator will become much more evident.

Unless it is a quarry, tides and conditions will change and even experienced divers screw the pooch reading dive conditions, saying you are always going to avoid currents is like saying you are never going to make mistakes.

I don’t have a lot of experience with rental gear, but a reg that breaths fine on the surface may seem fine. When you hit a strong current and your exertion increases and you are breathing harder, the inadequacy of the regulator will become much more evident.

Unless it is a quarry, tides and conditions will and even experienced divers screw the pooch reading dive conditions, say you are always going to avoid currents is like saying you are never going to make mistakes.
Yes. Even those tidal currents in LI Sound that go more East-West can be a little unnerving at mid tide. Here in NS they go in & out from shore (no Montauk to get around...). But they can be surprising if you wander too far out then come back in against them.

I feel like this can be avoided/mitigates with knowing your equipment even if it is a set of rented regs as well as going with a reputable dive shop that is not going to rent out a bad set of regs. It may be be 100% avoidable but i think it should pretty close to that with a tiny bit of prep and research.

Yes. Even those tidal currents in LI Sound that go more East-West can be a little unnerving at mid tide. Here in NS they go in & out from shore (no Montauk to get around...). But they can be surprising if you wander too far out then come back in against them.

This is my point... asking a person that dives these locations regularly will give me in type in information that you just gave. I understand that current can and do move is surprising and diffrent ways. but i know know more about the situation in LI sound than i did before and i have a small idea of what to look for there.

Additionally knowing what the "normal" current/tide should look like and being able to identify it and when it is changing should at least give you the option to adjust or end the dive instead of getting caught in a bad situation.

I know this is easier said then done and i have found myself WAY down the beach cause i was not paying attention to a changing current but that is bad on me for not paying attention.

this is an interesting question, especially if you are to add nitrox into the equation. Does risk increase as PPO2 increases? If you are exerting yourself should you set a lower PP02 than 1.4 to be on the safe side?
Yes, use a lower PPO2 if you are building up CO2.....the CO2 increases the chance of a toxicity convulsion. Just knock 10 ft of your MOD and you should be OK, that will reduce your PPO2 by about 0.1.

I feel like this can be avoided/mitigates with knowing your equipment even if it is a set of rented regs as well as going with a reputable dive shop that is not going to rent out a bad set of regs. It may be be 100% avoidable but i think it should pretty close to that with a tiny bit of prep and research.

This is my point... asking a person that dives these locations regularly will give me in type in information that you just gave. I understand that current can and do move is surprising and diffrent ways. but i know know more about the situation in LI sound than i did before and i have a small idea of what to look for there.

Additionally knowing what the "normal" current/tide should look like and being able to identify it and when it is changing should at least give you the option to adjust or end the dive instead of getting caught in a bad situation.

I know this is easier said then done and i have found myself WAY down the beach cause i was not paying attention to a changing current but that is bad on me for not paying attention.
Going back to the original statement that this isn’t a valid question, despite avoiding defective equipment and strong currents, sh*t happens. The original question wasn’t whether you should make these choices, but what happens if you find yourself in this situation.

I have found myself thinking “this is unfortunate, why am I here and how do I get out of it?” At that point getting out is more important than reflecting on how I got into it.

Back
Top Bottom