Quiz - Physics - Partial Pressure of Nitrogen

If an air filled balloon is taken to a depth of 20m/66ft, what is the approximate partial pressure o

• a. .8 ATA/12 psi

• b. 1.6 ATA/23 psi

• c. 2.4 ATA/35 psi

• d. The answer cannot be determined from the information given.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don’t put the spaces in the spoiler tags, I put them so you can see them.
Thanks-that's what I get for being lazy and using cut and paste.

I can see why metric is better than imperial when it comes to these sorts of calculations. It’s a good excuse to browse for a new to me SPG.
I agree. But even with imperial, this question was easy enough for me to figure out without a calculator.

For this question, metric/Imperial is irrelevant. In Imperial world you know 33ft/atm, just as well as you non-Central-Norte-Americanos know 10m/atm. anyone who can't do 66/33 in their head has bigger problems than trying to decide whether to use metric or Imperial.

As a pedant I'm wondering why the metric answer uses the non-metric unit of ata, rather than bar.
Actually I'm wondering why they bothered with psi at all. ATA wors for both.

As a pedant I'm wondering why the metric answer uses the non-metric unit of ata, rather than bar.
In my scuba courses, I was taught that 1) bar and ata are different units, and 2) they are close enough that divers often use them interchangeably. Since then, I have observed this to be the case all over the place. In practice I don't think any of my scuba tools are precise enough for a 1% difference to even have meaning, let alone be actually useful.

It would not surprise me to find that differences on this order of magnitude can add up to meaningful, actionable information on very deep or very long dives. But I don't do very deep or long dives, so I don't know.

Speaking here, of course, also as a pedant :wink:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom