Mask for pressure equalizing problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP, how do you equalise?

When you feel pressure/pain? Or do you equalise on the surface before you get your head under water, and then frequently and proactively as you descend?

If you do the latter (proper) technique and still have trouble, see a doc first to discuss and check.

As was stated before, the mask is not a suitable solution unless you have to manage a medical condition, and certainly not the next step if have not proactively equalised in the past.

Hello,

I am looking for a mask which makes pressure equalizing easier. I've gotten myself a middle ear barotrauma from my last trip and while searching on Google about this issue, I've stumbled on the Subgear PRO EAR 2000 mask. Can you recommend this mask? Are there any other alternatives?

Thank you very much for your input!

I have seen this mask,,,a member of one the clubs I am a part of had one a few years ago. It is kind of clunky and gimmicky. It works until it doesn't.

As others have suggested, if you are suffering from barotrauma to your ear it is most likely you are not staying on top of equalizing as you descend.

I tell new divers to equalize at the surface before putting their head in the water, just after putting their head in the water, and continue equalizing continuously during the descent. I also like to descend facing new divers to show them that I am equalizing so they will responsively do so as well.

I would avoid the mask in question unless you had issues with ear infections or had tube implants that would otherwise preclude you from diving....but you can make your own choice.

-Z

I've been using this type of mask for over 5 years and it helps a lot in preventing ear infections etc., as well as clearing my ears.

However you still need to be equalizing constantly as you descend, the mask doesn't do it for you.

I own a Pro Ear mask which I bought after my ear ruptured in an accident and was nervous diving (after it healed, of course) in case there was a weakness and it ruptured again during a dive. I figured if it did rupture then this mask would stop water rushing into the middle ear with all the associated issues...it didn't rupture and I reverted to my normal mask after I was confident my ear was fine.
I also used the mask recently as a precaution because I thought I was getting an ear infection so it kept my ears dry (with the help of a shaved head and some vasaline on the ear cups) and I could carry on diving and snorkelling, so it possibly saved my holiday.

Does the Pro Ear mask help make equalising easier? ...maybe.
However, I would not use the mask for that reason alone. As others have said, you should really be looking at a technique, or combination of techniques, that works for you.

Besides, it's not the nicest mask to wear. Apart from looking a bit dorky (I can put up with that), the mask itself is not the best around and the ear cups make for a noisy dive (your bubbles are so loud!).
It was fantastic reverting to my usual Hollis M1!

I have trouble with sinuses, not ears. You can clear ears, sinuses have to clear themselves. I have to descend....very slowly. When I tell new buddies that, and I always make that part of the dive plan and safety check, half the time I get a response that is very much in favor of that, since they often feel rushed and have issues themselves. No one has ever made it a problem.

Good point. It might be worth checking if your sinuses are a factor. I often have issues with one or the other of my nostrels being blocked or restricted. I always take ibuprofen and SinusRinse with me on holidays nowadays and don't dive if blocked up!
And yes, it is also my experience that people are generally very understanding if you want to decent slowly and carefully.

I have used Pro Ear masks for over 250 dives. I have eardrum issues, so keeping my right ear dry is necessary. The earcup equalization tubes are attached through the mask skirt with a threaded fitment and a nut. You can transfer them to a mask of your choice. I used a small hole punch to make the holes in the skirt of my Tusa Liberator mask.

Here is a post from 2009 about this:

Pro-Ear Mask Earcup Transplant

Others already pointed to the need of equalizing early and often, preventing any aching.
I would add that Valsalva is one of the worst equalizing techniques, and several others were developed, providing significant advantages.
I am not going to describe all of them here, just name the most famous ones, which can be used as better alternatives to Valsalva:
- Toynbee
- Frenzel (mostly for freedivers, as it requires the mouth to be closed)
- Frenzel-Fattah (aka "mouthfill", for deep free diving, also uses the cheeks)
- Marcante-Odaglia (similar to Frenzel, but suited for Scuba divers, as it is done with mouth open)
- BTV or VTO (the only one not requiring to close your nostrils, and the one I am using with great success)

Practice equalizing. I've made a habit of clearing my ears while sitting here working remotely. I think it helps. Not saying this will cure any medical issue, just that it helps make it easier when under water.

My buddy had a lot of problems equalizing. Multiple dives and dive days lost during vacation because of this issue. I saw a post on SB where someone said they got their ears in shape prior to dive vacations by just constantly popping -my words- their ears for the week before. My buddy started doing this 2 months before and had no problems on a week-long trip to Roatan. I believe the constant practice in an unstressful situation taught him how to clear his ears. It was amazing!! He started by pincing his nose, opening his mouth, and doing all sorts of head movements. Now he can clear just by moving his jaw a tiny bit. Practice made perfect for him. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom