Bari diver dead after 2 meter dive - Monopoli, Italy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
The site blocks any attempts at copying so you'll have to follow the link. Google translation would only work when I checked "Always translate Italian" briefly. It did refer to the man as an expert, diver I suppose, so it's puzzling. Beyond that, it really doesn't say much else.

Puglia: sub 28enne muore dopo un'immersione nella acque di Monopoli -

The site blocks any attempts at copying so you'll have to follow the link. Google translation would only work when I checked "Always translate Italian" briefly. It did refer to the man as an expert, diver I suppose, so it's puzzling. Beyond that, it really doesn't say much else.

It says the body was found lifeless on the seabed and according to the emergency services physician, death occurred due to cardio-circulatory arrest.

-Z

Disabling Java on that site is the trick

Dramatic accident this afternoon in the sea of Monopoli, where a young diver lost his life after a dive. The man, an expert 28-year-old diver from Bari, dived at around 4.30 pm at a depth of about 2 meters deep, but he never went back up.

Rescue workers alerted, the Carabinieri, the Monopoli Coast Guard soldiers and 118 medical personnel arrived on the spot. The 28-year-old's body was found lifeless on the seabed. According to the 118 physician, the diver's death occurred due to cardio-circulatory arrest.

I take it the 118 medical personal refers to department 118 and not the actual number of people dispatched to the scene.

I take it the 118 medical personal refers to department 118 and not the actual number of people dispatched to the scene.

118 is like dialing 911 in the US.

The following is a helpful list for anyone travelling in Europe for diving or other purposes:
Italy: 118 or 112
Greece: 112
Malta: 112
Cyprus: 199 or 112
Belgium: 112
Germany: 112
France: 112
Luxembourg: 113 (police), 112 (medical, fire, and other emergencies)
Netherlands: 112
Spain: 112
Portugal: 112
Andorra: 112
Austria: 122 (fire), 133 (police), 144 (ambulance)
Liechtenstein: 118 (fire), 117 (police), 144 (ambulance) or 112
Switzerland: 118 (fire), 117 (police), 144 (ambulance)
Denmark: 112
Norway: 110 (fire), 112 (police), 113 (ambulance)
Poland: 112
Croatia: 193 (fire), 192 (police), 194 (ambulance), or 112
England: 999 or 112
Wales: 999 or 112
Scotland: 999 or 112

-Z

This is a slight correction to what @Zef said above. In Italy, as in most of the rest of Europe, you can dial 112 for all emergencies as we do with 911 in the U.S. Italy also has local emergency numbers for specific emergency responders. See below

Dial tel. 112
to call the police, report a fire, or call for an ambulance anywhere in Italy (anywhere in Europe, actually).

You can also still dial the Italian national numbers:

• 112 - Carabinieri (national police)
  • 113 - Local police (also ambulance and fire)
  • 115 - Fire department
  • 116 - Roadside assistance from A.C.I. (like AAA; expect to pay for any service)
  • 117 - Finance police (if you've been cheated)
  • 118 - Medical emergencies
  • 1515 - Forest fires

I used to know that trick, but can't figure it out on Chrome now, and online instructions seem to be outdated.

All of this chit-chat about dialing Emergency Services in interesting and any international traveler should certainly research such for planned visits. But I really wish a local could find out how this diver...

died while diving in six feet of water?!

I wouldn't doubt that it was an error by the journalist/editor, kind of how the media seem to routinely get the type of gas in cylinder wrong when they call it oxygen instead of air. I have searched for other articles about this incident but have not found any.

-Z

It’s not unknown for rebreather divers who forget to turn on their O2 (or otherwise commit a massive error) to die in water they could stand up in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom