Where should I live in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love Suwannee County, but then I'm a cave diver.

My wife has fallen in love with High Springs. I’m the cave diver, she will never have anything to do with SCUBA diving. But she absolutely loves the springs. Plus, she wants to raise chickens and goats.

Every couple of weeks she’ll show me the newest place she’s found down there. Actually planned on spending a couple of weeks down there this summer, probably right about now, just to see how hot and humid it is in the middle of summer. Stupid plague.

We both lived in Fort Myers Florida 25 years ago, so we know what that’s like. We know northern Florida will be bad, but we’re hoping it’s not quite as bad as Fort Myers.

Funny you mention Lauderdale by the Sea. I have spent a fair amount of time visiting pompano. And my favorite thing to do on my last day, on my way to FLL, is to drive down A1A and stop in Lauderdale by the Sea. I love the drive along the ocean, and I love hanging out in their little tourist trap downtown. it seems like such a beautiful, quiet area.

But the traffic is still horrendous. So. Many. People.

but I vote with @NothingClever: as much as I like SCUBA diving, I don’t scuba dive 24 hours a day. I’m willing to drive a few hours to have a nice weekend if it means where I live better fits the 99% of my life I’m not scuba diving.

Though, my requirements for things that my wife is looking at in high Springs is 20 minutes to Ginnie or Little River… :)

#happywifehappylife

We both lived in Fort Myers Florida 25 years ago, so we know what that’s like. We know northern Florida will be bad, but we’re hoping it’s not quite as bad as Fort Myers.

Honestly it may be worse. On the coast we have the benefit of the sea breeze most days. Inland in the summer it can just be unbearable with no breeze whatsoever. You'll have to visit in July-August and try it out. But at least you can always go jump in the springs!

Currently it's 93 and feels like 106. So just a typical summer day in South FL!!! It's 90-95 EVERY DAY from Mid-June through the end of Sept. But it is at least breezy pretty much every afternoon/evening. The regular afternoon rains cool things off for about 15 minutes so there's that.

North Florida gets too cold in the winter for us. :rofl3:

North Florida gets too cold in the winter for us. :rofl3:

My temporary move to Panama City Beach happened around the end of the winter, driving the little roads south of I-10 to my place, I noticed most of the houses had their entrance plants fully covered in blankets. I thought it weird but ignored the warning. Brrrrrr I do not miss those winters. No one expects to be cold in Florida.

I think that is an excellent plan-provided you have a spare room or couch where your gypsy dive friends can crash when they visit.

Couv
(President of the Gypsy Dive Club)
Yes and have a place to keep all your dive equipment.

Yes and have a place to keep all your dive equipment.
Well let me know when you need help moving.
LBTS has great shore diving, Greek food, pizza, and ice cream parlors. DGX is a stone's throw-what more can one ask for?

241453-efccc8ce256e03363191938c7dcf5769.jpg

I grew up in Colorado at 9,000ft ASL and was very active year round with all the usual outdoor mountain athlete activities. I thought I was pretty tough moving to the south until working outside in Georgia, Tennessee and Florida for extended durations exposed to 38*F air temperatures and steady rain. Humbling weather.

Well let me know when you need help moving.
LBTS has great shore diving, Greek food, pizza, and ice cream parlors. DGX is a stone's throw-what more can one ask for?

View attachment 596935
Less tourists and less canadians?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom