American is giving me 11 minutes to connect in DFW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, although inconvenient in another way, what about biting the bullet and doing the 4 1/2 drive to DFW each way?
That's another thought. Google maps say 320 miles/5 hours except for me it'd be 6 hours vs 60 miles/1 hour to Lubbock or 100 miles/1¾ hours to Amarillo. Maybe. I'd still probably have a hotel night on the way home as that's probably just too much for me to do safely, but it wouldn't be an airport hotel anyway. I'll keep it in mind if my two one-way tickets don't work even tho I have rejected that approach for 19 years now.

That's another thought. Google maps say 320 miles/5 hours except for me it'd be 6 hours vs 60 miles/1 hour to Lubbock or 100 miles/1¾ hours to Amarillo. Maybe. I'd still probably have a hotel night on the way home as that's probably just too much for me to do safely, but it wouldn't be an airport hotel anyway. I'll keep it in mind if my two one-way tickets don't work even tho I have rejected that approach for 19 years now.

It might make more sense if you could come up with something interesting to see or do along the way.

It might make more sense if you could come up with something interesting to see or do along the way.
I'm getting better at that, but I'll really be ready to start laundry and gear cleaning.

It looks like any permutation or combination of flights have grief somewhere, whether it be the layover, the bag drag or red-eyes/early mornings. So, although inconvenient in another way, what about biting the bullet and doing the 4 1/2 drive to DFW each way? One check-in, one flight leg right to CZM, no connection anxiety when delays creep in. Sure it is a longish drive, but door to door probably not much more than doing a bag drag with allowances for bus/ferry waits or doing a lengthy airport connection. And in the comfort of your own car instead of crowded and noisy public facilities.

Of course AA might want to double the cost of the ticket when originating at their hub compared to connecting through from elsewhere. But otherwise, it might be a consideration as the least undesirable of all the inconvenient options.

Andy
Don't rule out the cost of parking if you do this, it adds up pretty fast.

Don't rule out the cost of parking if you do this, it adds up pretty fast.
I pay for parking at any airport, but is secure parking at DFW expensive? I see $15 per day at Express Parking North, not much more than I pay at Lubbock.

I pay for parking at any airport, but is secure parking at DFW expensive? I see $15 per day at Express Parking North, not much more than I pay at Lubbock.
Currently express parking is closed down (bus exposure to Covid?) not sure when it will reopen but they closed it when the crisis began. Airport employee's are also temporarily allowed to use the terminal parking garages to limit bus exposure during transit from remote parking.

I think I'll ask American to accommodate me with a one-way to Cozumel and return from Cancun. They have a flight at 12:10 pm that seems to start on the 27th, so I'll try to go on the 18th for nine nights. They also have one at 11-something, but I like the extra time to get to the Cancun airport that morning. I'd love to make the 1½ hour connection in DFW on the return, but I think that's too tight for I&C then get to wherever the connecting flight is, back thru security there and all. I'll go for the 4+ hour connection.

Coz.JPG

You can save a significant amount of $$ by pre-paying parking at DFW. Search Results | DFW for your trip it would be 52 at the Express lots or 99 at the terminal. I have always used the express lots, they have a shuttle that picks you up at your car and takes you to terminal and then drops you off at your car, and it is covered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom