Diving in Hot Water, dive skin or rash guard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bierstadt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a confirmed cold water Great Lakes diver. I am pleased as punch to dive wet in 30F's, the 40F's are balmy, 50F's call for a light wetsuit, and once the water hits the upper 60F's it's swimsuit weather. But this month my buddies have talked me into going to North Carolina. I have been told that the water is 80F. I am told I ought to wear something to protect against sun and water critters. In 80F water... How is a polar bear supposed to dress for 80F water????

I have read article after article explaining how a dive skin can keep you warm. But I need a protective layer to keep me cool. Looks like I ought to get the thinnest lycra skin or rash guard/pants combo I can find, very preferably one that is not sun-sucking black. A nice white polar bear color would be perfect, if it existed. Best option (I think) I have found so far is a light blue camo rash guard set from Cressi. Can one of our warm water folks warn me what the best choice is for staying unburnt, unstung, and unpoached?

I would say a rash guard/pants combo would be what you're looking for. But there's one caveat... How are the jellyfish in that area? With separate top and bottoms, it could be possible to have a jelly get up into the shirt... on the other hand, if one goes down the neck, you can flush it out the bottom of the shirt.... So pros and cons there...

Keep in mind that it doesn't have to be Dive skins or proper rash guard material... you could use something like the Under Armour Heat gear, which comes readily in white, fits pretty snug (preventing anything from getting in the sleeves/neck), and would feel amazing when it's wet on the surface in a light breeze. Could use just about anything that fits well and isn't too baggy (ladies often use yoga clothing, but us fellas might look a little silly....LOL)

In the summer, our water temps can hit 35c/95F, The warmest I have ever seen on a dive is 39c/102F and I wear a short sleeved rash guard with tech shorts....and get as deep as possible to get cool.

I took the good advice from this thread and bought a long sleeved spearfishing camo rash guard and leggings with matching gloves I found on sale. On my trip it proved an ideal solution, fully protecting me from jellyfish and fire coral bits while keeping me cool and unburned both above and below the water. I was envied by my dive buddies suffocating in 3mm suits. Additionally, all divers present were attacked by territorial (or horny) amberjacks one dive. Everyone took multiple fishslaps to the head, mask, regs, and body except me. I was the only one in camo. Coincidence? Perhaps not. In any case, I was very pleased with the results.

Thank you to everyone who responded to this thread.

I took the good advice from this thread and bought a long sleeved spearfishing camo rash guard and leggings with matching gloves I found on sale. On my trip it proved an ideal solution, fully protecting me from jellyfish and fire coral bits while keeping me cool and unburned both above and below the water. I was envied by my dive buddies suffocating in 3mm suits. Additionally, all divers present were attacked by territorial (or horny) amberjacks one dive. Everyone took multiple fishslaps to the head, mask, regs, and body except me. I was the only one in camo. Coincidence? Perhaps not. In any case, I was very pleased with the results.

Thank you to everyone who responded to this thread.
What brand did you end up getting? How good of a sale? Did you go with @MAKO Spearguns ?

What brand did you end up getting? How good of a sale? Did you go with @MAKO Spearguns ?
Cressi, very modest sale from leisurepro of about $10 off for buying everything together, and I mostly went with it because I am a big guy and slim-fitting rashguards like Mako's are not going to fit me.

@MAKO Spearguns I only know what you tell me. I wear a 2xl shirt normally on a 290lb frame, but seeing 240lb as the top number didn't exactly fill me with confidence. If there were chest and waist numbers that came close to mine I would have ordered your rashguards instead of the Cressi because I know your stuff is top quality and well priced.

Thanks! I just wanted to make sure people were aware that we had a full range of sizes. The rash guards are a little more forgiving than wetsuits with respect to size.

I'm glad you found a solution that works for you, staying covered up from the sun, stings etc. is smart. People are finally realizing how beneficial a hood is as well - a lot of fishing rashguards now incorporate a loose hood for sun protection.

Thanks! I just wanted to make sure people were aware that we had a full range of sizes. The rash guards are a little more forgiving than wetsuits with respect to size.

I'm glad you found a solution that works for you, staying covered up from the sun, stings etc. is smart. People are finally realizing how beneficial a hood is as well - a lot of fishing rashguards now incorporate a loose hood for sun protection.
I saw that you have sale specials from time to time. Do your rash guards ever go on sale? I see, that they are reasonably priced as it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom