FINS: ScubaPro Jet, XS Scuba Turtle, Apeks RK3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matthew Spears

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,

I've been looking into getting a new set of fins that are more rigid than the ones I have now. Upon researching them I came across the ScubaPro Jet, XS Scuba Turtle, and Apeks RK3 which all seem to be roughly the same fin. I have friends of my mine who love the Jets but my sidemount/cave instructor is against them and says they're way too heavy. With the discrepancies in what I've heard, I was hoping to get some clarification here as to which of the ones I listed would be the best, or if there's a different brand anyone would reccomend.

Thanks in advance for your help!

You won’t get much clarification here :wink:
Jets are the standard by which all are compared and they are still great fins even after all of these years, they are heavy, less so in salt water but heavy.

Scubapro GoSport gives close performance and much lighter with a better foot pocket, deep six are also a good choice. You can counter the weight somewhat with thick booties, almost every fin choice has advantages and disadvantages, must be why I have so many out in my shop.

Jet fins are heavy, especially with the spring straps. I use them and love them. Easy to maneuver with and a lot of movement for little effort.
The added weight at the back gives me a more balanced trim
I have tried RK3 as my buddy swears by them. I actually thought they were excellent for maneuvering however they did make me feel very "legs light".
You really need to try them both, very different fins but both will do a great job for you.
By the way the foot pocket on the Jet fin is quite small, I do a size 9 US 3 mm boot and need a large Jet fin.

Best fins I've ever bought for the cost of springs straps.

apilei66x__93082.1510104671.386.513.jpg

• apilei66x__93082.1510104671.44.58.jpg
  • apizhhzl6__02974.1510769358.44.58.jpg
Save
Scuba Diving Free Dive Spearfishing Black Rubber Fins w/ SS Spring Heel Straps
SKU:
SC901/PRT
* Size:
  • Large
  • Medium
  • X-Large
* Color:
  • Black
$58.98
Quantity:
Product Description
apilei66x__93082.1510104671.1280.1280.jpg

What are you wearing for exposure protection? I wear jet fins in my 7mm wet suit and used them in a 3mm with no issues. I use turtles in my drysuit but that was due to the size of the boot, otherwise I may have stayed with the jet. I don't use ankle weights and I find these fins work great in the applications I use them.

What are you wearing for exposure protection? I wear jet fins in my 7mm wet suit and used them in a 3mm with no issues. I use turtles in my drysuit but that was due to the size of the boot, otherwise I may have stayed with the jet. I don't use ankle weights and I find these fins work great in the applications I use them.

I wear a 5mm wet suit and Aqualung Ergo 6.5mm dive boots which are very floaty

turtles are basically jets designed for wider/flatter feet. jets don't always play well with soft boots as the foot pocket is not as ergonomic as they could be. the rk3 HD is their stiffer/heavier version and is a reasonable jetfin alternative.

supposedly the xdeep fins are also pretty decent, but i have not tried them.

I would definitely try them by asking your acquaintances to lend you some fins.

When I tried RK3 HD (I assume you are interested in the HD version of the RK3) and Jet Fins, I found that they don’t fee the same and I was under the impression that the Jet Fins are a bit more negative, which is good for me in a drysuit.

Also the Jet Fins are really stiff and, at first, I was getting cramps.

In a wetsuit, I like the RK3 non-HD, I have tried XL Jet fins but they were too negative.

Best fins I've ever bought for the cost of springs straps.

View attachment 612283
Save
Scuba Diving Free Dive Spearfishing Black Rubber Fins w/ SS Spring Heel Straps
SKU:
SC901/PRT
* Size:
  • Large
  • Medium
  • X-Large
* Color:
  • Black
$58.98
Quantity:
Product Description
View attachment 612286
I do own these! It's not my favorite (Dive rite for me) but it's quite good!
If you like branding for some bucks extra you can have these on other flavors (Poseidon, HOG, UTD...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom