Hi from Italy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all, welcome to SB.
Now I can't resist asking you this: Looks like Padua is 20km or so from the sea. Why do you need to do your OW in Y-40 (and hence wait till spring)? Can't you get certified somewhere along the coast earlier than that? I am from Crete/Greece and (sea) water temperatures at the moment are around 27oC. I am sure there it will be colder but it should be doable (wetsuit temperatures) until October if not November.
Maybe @Angelo Farina can help you find another place to get certified sooner??
Just saying...
All the best

Thanks!

That is a good question and there are three reasons. First, I had minor heart surgery earlier this year (just an ablation) that will require my cardiologist to sign off. He wants to do a stress test at the end of this month, so I have to get that completed first or we would have jumped into this last class. I'm an avid cyclist as well, so I have been staying in shape the best I can while keeping my heart rate at minimal levels. I'm almost certain that I will get a clean bill of health at the end of the month.

Second, I am a contractor (American living in Italy) working here in Italy and I have access to American installations and facilities on military installations. The course I was looking at is offered on post through the Y-40 (with a small discount) and the instructor basically said we could probably do it if we wanted but it would be cold and not as fun. He simply recommended that we hold off until the water warms to have a better experience and they don't normally offer the OW class after September due to low student count and the water temps. I'm not opposed to a cold water dive, but I have two others who also get a vote and I am pretty sure that I will be vetoed!

Lastly COVID... While borders are technically open, the Italian government has been threatening to lock them back down and we are not really allowed to leave the country at this time unless it is absolutely necessary.

All that said, when we spoke to the instructor yesterday he was hoping that we could do our OW dive in Croatia earlier next year provided things stay open and restrictions lighten. The rest we can and will do in the pool/classroom.

Yep, I could probably find something somewhere but to be honest, I am not in a huge rush but we will be ready for next season for sure!

Croatia is definitely much nicer diving than the Italian coast near Padoa.
North Adriatic sea, indeed, is not the best in terms of visibility and nature to be seen.
Better moving south, for example Tremiti Islands, or cross the water and go to Greece.

Y40 indeed is an installation unique in the world and definitely diving there is an amazing experience for everyone.
The weather at Tremiti is now at its yearly top, warm water and crystal-clear water. But if you cannot go there just now, complete your "closed water" certification at Y40.
The next spring the water will be colder and not so clean, but still much better than the Italian coast near Padoa, where I have absolutely no reason for diving.

Good to know! The more that I research, the more I figure out that I have a lot to learn and understand. Heck, even looking at dive computers has been tedious! Still, can't wait to actually get started.

Welcome!!
I came here in search for answers and stayed because of the wonderfull people!
Be sure to join us in chat sometimes :p.

Croatia is definitely much nicer diving than the Italian coast near Padoa.
North Adriatic sea, indeed, is not the best in terms of visibility and nature to be seen.
Better moving south, for example Tremiti Islands, or cross the water and go to Greece.

Y40 indeed is an installation unique in the world and definitely diving there is an amazing experience for everyone.
The weather at Tremiti is now at its yearly top, warm water and crystal-clear water. But if you cannot go there just now, complete your "closed water" certification at Y40.
The next spring the water will be colder and not so clean, but still much better than the Italian coast near Padoa, where I have absolutely no reason for diving.

My wife and I are already planning a few trips and Greece was on the list. We also talked about Elba and Sardina for staying local. I go this week for my final stress test on my heart and hope to be cleared to be able to start soon. Really looking forward to this adventure!

Elba and Sardinia are also very nice!
Also consider small islands around Sicily, which, in my opinion, are the very best spots in the Mediterranean: Egadi, Ustica, Pantelleria, Lampedusa, Linosa, Eolie.
They are not so easy to reach, but you will find exceptional beauty both above and under the sea...

Elba and Sardinia are also very nice!
Also consider small islands around Sicily, which, in my opinion, are the very best spots in the Mediterranean: Egadi, Ustica, Pantelleria, Lampedusa, Linosa, Eolie.
They are not so easy to reach, but you will find exceptional beauty both above and under the sea...
Will do, thanks for the tip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom