Hi from Italy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wpotere

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hey everybody, just found this site and wanted to say hello. My wife and I currently live in Italy and will be getting our OW cert at the Y-40 Deep Joy here in Padua Italy within the next few months. As usual with any hobby, I have to actually research the heck out of it, but we are excited and I figured finding a place with like minded people would give me the ability to ask questions if needed. That being said, I just wanted to pop in and introduce myself I'm sure I will have some newbie questions for you guys soon enough!

Ciao!

Good to know! The more that I research, the more I figure out that I have a lot to learn and understand. Heck, even looking at dive computers has been tedious! Still, can't wait to actually get started.

Welcome to Scubaboard. You've come to the right place and we're pleased to have you join us.

Welcome! Totally agree on the tedium of research. I rented almost all my gear for the first 6 months; it helped me figure out what I wanted. I did buy a computer early on, and while I stand by that decision (I think that's a better thing to buy than rent), I upgraded a year later. You'll probably change your mind on some things, too. But this is a great place for advice.

Benvenuto! You are starting off with the right frame of mind. Do the research, pick gear that suits your budget/diving and lol, try to avoid impulse purchases.

Thanks everyone! So, as I mentioned, I am living in Italy and we are going to get certified at the Y-40 in Padua. That being said, the last class for OW started yesterday (for the season). However, we have the ability to do the discovery dive (12M with an instructor) at the pool fully enclosed then "upgrade" to open water in the spring when the water warms up. We would also be able to do some separate dive sessions at the Y-40 as we got closer to the Spring to refresh our memories (with an instructor). Is there any reason that anyone can think of that this would be a bad idea? The Discovery Dive (PADI) has all the basic lessons to prep you for the OW cert but just doesn't require the open water dive. This sounds like a great way to get through the winter with some fun and give us some extended time to get familiar with equipment as well as acquire some items before the OW course. I just don't want to overthink this and I probably am.

Sounds good to me, as long as you get to refresh your skills in the pool next year before going out into open water. Have fun!

Sounds good to me, as long as you get to refresh your skills in the pool next year before going out into open water. Have fun!

Thanks, I spoke to the instructor today and he basically said the same thing. I was overthinking it. :wink:

First of all, welcome to SB.
Now I can't resist asking you this: Looks like Padua is 20km or so from the sea. Why do you need to do your OW in Y-40 (and hence wait till spring)? Can't you get certified somewhere along the coast earlier than that? I am from Crete/Greece and (sea) water temperatures at the moment are around 27oC. I am sure there it will be colder but it should be doable (wetsuit temperatures) until October if not November.
Maybe @Angelo Farina can help you find another place to get certified sooner??
Just saying...
All the best

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom