Drysuit skins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking for an affordable drysuit for my wife, just for river snorkeling at this point. I'm seeing lots of places offering the Aqualung Fusion Essence drysuit SKIN ONLY.

As I understand, SKIN ONLY would mean I'd have to add all seals and valves after the purchase--either hiring someone or installing them myself. (I'm fairly handy and have succeeded in replacing my own neck seal in the past.)

Questions:
1. Do I understand correctly?
2. Any tips or guidance before I purchase?

Thanks!

Aqualung Fusion suits have two layers: (1) the internal trilaminate "bag" that's actually the drysuit, and then (2) an outer skin with additional functions. Most of the skins are a stretchy material that makes the suit streamlined and/or has external pockets.

A "skin only" package is for someone who already owns the drysuit but needs to replace the outer layer. It doesn't include the drysuit itself.

As a rule of thumb, a base model Aqualung Fusion is going to run about USD $1000 for a full suit. Items that cost less than that aren't going to be full packages.

1. No; the fusion dry suit is actually a dry bag that the skins fit over, a hybrid system.

2. For snorkeling a wet suit is a better option.

Lexvil is right that today's snorkellers and freedivers tend to favour wetsuits of varying thickness when operating in colder waters. The few using modern-style drysuits tend to be those sea swimming in freezing conditions when, say, seal-watching on the surface.
Yellow_Totes_4.jpg

This said, I'm old enough to remember the late 1950s and the early 1960s, when drysuits (above) not only proved to be cheaper alternatives to wetsuits but also routinely kept snorkellers, spearfishers, abalone harvesters and scuba divers dry and warm.

As a retirement hobby I still collect and research underwater equipment from that era and my collection includes the late-1950s unlined thin-skin dry suit below, which was designed to be worn over underclothing. I've found myself comfortably warm when I've snorkelled in it occasionally in the North Sea; the valveless garment is not too hard to don, vent and seal with a little practice. I believe such suits are still manufactured here for the benefit of anyone wanting to experience drysuit underwater swimming the way it used to be.
Yellow_Totes_1.jpg

Interesting, I had rubber overboots for my Motorcycle boots that I bought back in 1980 made by Totes.

They worked well but did develop a hole where the sole and upper toe part connect with the gear lever.

Lexvil is right that today's snorkellers and freedivers tend to favour wetsuits of varying thickness when operating in colder waters. The few using modern-style drysuits tend to be those sea swimming in freezing conditions when, say, seal-watching on the surface.
View attachment 614595
This said, I'm old enough to remember the late 1950s and the early 1960s, when drysuits (above) not only proved to be cheaper alternatives to wetsuits but also routinely kept snorkellers, spearfishers, abalone harvesters and scuba divers dry and warm.

As a retirement hobby I still collect and research underwater equipment from that era and my collection includes the late-1950s unlined thin-skin dry suit below, which was designed to be worn over underclothing. I've found myself comfortably warm when I've snorkelled in it occasionally in the North Sea; the valveless garment is not too hard to don, vent and seal with a litlle practice. I believe such suits are still manufactured here for the benefit of anyone wanting to experience drysuit underwater swimming the way it used to be.
View attachment 614594
Thanks fot the info but can you tell us more how it works?
I suppose you need to remove as much air as you can on surface when you don it and the undergarnment make the "flexible" layer. But what's about when you go down. Is the squeeze bearable?
Thanks

Thanks fot the info but can you tell us more how it works?
I suppose you need to remove as much air as you can on surface when you don it and the undergarnment make the "flexible" layer. But what's about when you go down. Is the squeeze bearable?
Thanks
The trousers are donned first and the excess material at the waist (the skirt) is turned down on the outside. Then the jacket is donned with the excess material at the waist overlapping the trouser skirt. Then the two parts are sealed together by rolling up the joint between the overlapping skirts.

Air is vented at the surface by slightly opening the wrist and/or face seals and allowing water pressure to expel excess air. Yes, the body is squeezed somewhat by increasing water pressure when descending and it makes sense to keep a residue of air inside the suit, weighting accordingly, which may take some practice. Snorkelling isn't usually about plumbing great depths, though.

Here's an article from the Santa Cruz Sentinel of 23 February 1961 describing one person's experience with the suit:
upload_2020-9-27_9-49-34.png

Wearing tennis shoes over the suit's built-in feet seemed to have solved the sole abrasion issue in this case. Note too how people back then liked to have multiple uses for their purchases, in this case the trousers also serving as fishing waders. In their time, these suits were also worn by surface users such as water-skiers and cavers operating in colder conditions.

The trousers are donned first and the excess material at the waist (the skirt) is turned down. Then the jacket is donned with the excess material at the waist overlapping the trouser skirt. Then the two parts are sealed together by rolling up the joint between the overlapping skirts.

Air is vented at the surface by slightly opening the wrist and/or face seals and allowing water pressure to expel excess air. Yes, the body is squeezed somewhat by increasing water pressure when descending and it makes sense to keep a residue of air inside the suit, weighting accordingly, which may take some practice. Snorkelling isn't usually about plumbing great depths, though.

Here's an article from the Santa Cruz Sentinel of 23 February 1961 describing one person's experience with the suit:
View attachment 614613
Wearing tennis shoes seemed to have solved the sole abrasion issue in this case. Note too how people back then liked to have multiple uses for their purchases, in this case the trousers also serving as fishing waders. In their time, these suits were also worn by surface users such as water-skiers and cavers operating in colder conditions.
Now I need to try that :)

I'm looking for an affordable drysuit for my wife, just for river snorkeling at this point.
You might want to take a look at sailing or paddling drysuits since you don't need dumps or an inflator valve. My avatar is my son jumping into Lake Michigan (in November) in his sailing drysuit a few years ago. I've bought them from Drysuits | Coast Water Sports and Drysuits for Men, Women, Kids - Best Prices | Watersports Outlet . Coastwatersports is in the UK, but they deliver fast.

Back
Top Bottom