Fatality on Rosalie Moller wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding the computer, she lost her own during one of the first dives while getting back onto the RIB. She was concerned about not being able to correctly interpret the screen on the borrowed computer.

For some reason she was worried about not being able to keep her buoyancy neutral during the safety stop. Several people on the boat had told her she was carrying too much weight (10 kg). This was amply corroborated when after losing 3 kg she was still negative.
How thick of a wetsuit? type?
I need about 10kg in a 7mm fullsuit.

Regarding the computer, she lost her own during one of the first dives while getting back onto the RIB. She was concerned about not being able to correctly interpret the screen on the borrowed computer.

For some reason she was worried about not being able to keep her buoyancy neutral during the safety stop. Several people on the boat had told her she was carrying too much weight (10 kg). This was amply corroborated when after losing 3 kg she was still negative.

Exactly. So what could have been going on in her mind ? Was she wearing a drysuit? More neoprene than she was used to wearing?

To my mind, her computer concerns were secondary to whatever was going on in her mind about having an accelerated rise unable to hold her stop.

Being "over weighted" in order to offset an irrational fear of being unable to hold a safety stop on a deep dive should throw up a ton of red flags. A good DM would intervene at this point and either convince the diver that they need no more lead than any of the other shallower dives (all things being equal and assuming she could hold a stop before) OR convince her NOT to do the dive since she was apparently nervous enough about the dive to be observable. Ideally, there should have been a very strong effort made to prevent her from doing the deep dive with (apparently) way too much lead.

Either one or the other.. get her to bail on the dive or use a reasonable amount of weight. It is unclear if the pair were ascending along the line that was connected to the wreck? If so, a diver could be very buoyant and ascend on the line using it to hold themselves down. If this were the case, the decision to chase the weight pocket was even more unreasonable.

Sounds like a lot of bad decisions. Going after the dropped weight was unwise, but is perfectly understandable. Once a person is scared, has irrational fears and inappropriate perspectives, it is so easy to fall into the trap of "chasing something" that does not need to be chased.. Like a dog chasing a ball into the path of an approaching car. She clearly was unable to prioritize things, didn't have the situation under control and was unable to implement an emergency response that was logical.

Very sad story. I'm not a big fan of some integrated weight systems.

I am pretty sure it was a 3 mm full suit, but it could have been a 5 mm. Water temp was 28C. I was diving with a rash guard and swimming trunks...

Was she overweighted on first dive too?

She was overweighted on all of her dives. This was the eighth of the trip.

Did she appear composed in all other aspects, when not diving?

Had anyone on the boat been diving with her before?

Did she appear composed in all other aspects, when not diving?

Had anyone on the boat been diving with her before?
Yes, she seemed to be a well-adjusted individual, serving on the city council of her village, with a husband and kids, social with her fellow divers, etc. She had been diving with K. as a buddy during her previous dives. I had heard (hearsay) that she did not fully trust him, as he was a bit of a cowboy. I had a run-in with K. along the same lines. This may not be relevant.

Dammit ... We shouldn't die chasing a weight pouch.
We all need to be more proactive listening to the little voices that make us feel apprehensive about situations.

I am pretty sure it was a 3 mm full suit, but it could have been a 5 mm. Water temp was 28C. I was diving with a rash guard and swimming trunks...
yikes 10kg is a lot for anyone in a 3mm (which turns paper thin at 30m)

Back
Top Bottom