Dive Pro's, what are your thoughts on a 15 week OW course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hartattack

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Check out this link and let us know your thoughts in the comments. As an alumnus of this program, I'm probably biased—nevertheless, it's a great episode of Divers Ready.

Great for college kids. For adults, I don't think it is economically viable.

Impractical unless the goal is to provide divers with GUE fundies tech pass skills.

The problems with Con Ed is that it consists of box checking. Leaving a subjective interpretation of mastery is rife with problems. Make the mastery of new skills to be objective. And have objective performance requirements to take courses.

But that would decimate the scuba instruction agency, as that won't fly with the largest segment of consumers.

Is it one semester per class? If so each semester at 3 credit hours each, it is over $3k for each class.

Great concept that is totally unsellable. Look at BSAC vs PADI in the UK. Very small market segment appeal. Not saying it isn’t brilliant, it’s just hard to sell that high standard over the lure of a couple of months barefoot in the islands.

Haven’t seen Tec for a long time (Pro Dive).
Man, I thought I needed a post-Covid haircut.

I'd love the opportunity. Not available in a financially reasonable way. A&M Galveston has a program. Not sure of it's level of thoroughness.

Great for college kids. For adults, I don't think it is economically viable.

Impractical unless the goal is to provide divers with GUE fundies tech pass skills.

The problems with Con Ed is that it consists of box checking. Leaving a subjective interpretation of mastery is rife with problems. Make the mastery of new skills to be objective. And have objective performance requirements to take courses.

But that would decimate the scuba instruction agency, as that won't fly with the largest segment of consumers.

Interesting, quick question—what do you consider an adult? The reason I ask is because I graduated at 31. Many of my friends who also did the program where in their mid-late 20’s as well.

IMHO, It was a great outlet and program for those of us who joined college a little late. In my and my friends case—we were all veterans using our GI Bill and this gave a job to work while also going to class or figuring out the civilian world a bit.

Interesting, quick question—what do you consider an adult? The reason I ask is because I graduated at 31. Many of my friends who also did the program where in their mid-late 20’s as well.

Kid, up though university age (so 22ish and younger). Adults post graduation.

IMHO, It was a great outlet and program for those of us who joined college a little late. In my and my friends case—we were all veterans using our GI Bill and this gave a job to work while also going to class or figuring out the civilian world a bit.

There are always exceptions, but demographics wise, you are in a minority.

With the kind of open water course I teach, most people have no interest. My guess is that I'm targeting less than 10% of the people who take open water every year. A 15 week class would be an even smaller percentage.

Is it one semester per class? If so each semester at 3 credit hours each, it is over $3k for each class.

for our university it is full semester, 2 credit hours. 2 sessions/week, 2 hours/session. Cost of the "field trip" is not included, and that is an extra I think $200 plus equipment rental. If you're paying by the credit hour it's not really cost effective, but if you're considered "full time" then it's not bad at all

Kid, up though university age (so 22ish and younger). Adults post graduation.

There are always exceptions, but demographics wise, you are in a minority.

With the kind of open water course I teach, most people have no interest. My guess is that I'm targeting less than 10% of the people who take open water every year. A 15 week class would be an even smaller percentage.

Yeah, that makes sense. I guess it’s a give and take, right?

For me, (since going through the program) I’m an independent instructor who takes a lot longer and a more personalized approach with my OW students. I build report and in-turn—work on their (as Tec says) performance in class and as a diver. They also have the opportunity to get to know me, my teaching style, and tend to invite me out for beers/food/whatever afterward. In addition, my students become repeats.

This is great! However, it might be unsustainable if I didn’t have a day job.

Would the thought of lost revenue needed to sustain a lifestyle be too much to sway me into a more puppy mill style of teaching? I guess I’ll find out when I retire.

With that said, it looks like James has found some ways to diversify his teaching portfolio with added value to his students and followers—so it might workout after all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom