Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Teric may have a serious contender here, this mk2 does a multitude of thing I don’t care about including the GPS but more capable is better than less capable.

Main concern for me (not in the market since I use two Teric’s) is proprietary transmitter:( but that too may be worth it.

Marketing to new divers is not a bad idea since they are in the market for gear.

Overall I like it.

Ok, I pulled the trigger (hell, my birthday is next month so why not?)
I'm a runner who hates changing devices/watches so it made sense since I wanted air integration and the Fenix 6 features. My wife can buy me transmitters for christmas. :)

When looking at multisport/other features, that really intrigued me beyond AI. Having both Garmin Pay and Music on it are things I've always thought of as "well, I don't have them with the Mk1, but it sure would be nice" because while 99% of my runs I don't listen to music, its that 1% where I get super bored and super frustrated and just want to get out my head. Also Garmin Pay has come up a couple times since there's a couple stores around me that have it. And I'd sure love to stop and have a smoothie some time during a run and not have to worry about carrying a card or cash (I carry a mask or buff with me).

Bigger screen is always nice. App real estate is a big thing with the more complex apps (there's a few run apps that are super cluttered but have all info on one page).

This for sure has my interest as I have used the fenix watches in the past for hiking so would be able to use this for that as well so the price hit is not quite as bad. Will be interesting to see if the oceanic/shearwater ai transmitters work with it

Actually unlike other dive computers it has utility for people who don’t scuba dive but Have an exercise regimen. That marketing to bring them to fully use the Descent Mk2 and justify its price above the Fenix series in their model line, I would assume. And it’s fully featured enough to be useful if they advance into technical diving.

Again, this is what I meant with "some other folks around will also find it (really) useful". In terms of practical use, I think the mk1 covers already everything "needed", but I understand that some extra features can be also useful and interesting, so they can justify the extra 300$ for somebody.

No idea if these people are enough to satisfy Garmin's needs in terms of sales (I guess not), but for sure that video was not targeting them: this is why I found it funny.

InReach integration?
Now that's interesting.

I have no idea of what this is... is it a nice feature? Could you explain?

@TuckerIdaho out of curiosity, do you run often? Do you really train or do you just go running sometimes without a schedule to stay in shape? I have some doubts about running, and I may want to ask you some suggestion if it doesn't bother you

Uh, what? Its marketed to multi sport folks, and there is quite few of us given Garmin spent the money on upgrading the Mk1. This is significantly cheaper than having a smartwatch AND a dive computer.

You can get a Fenix 6 for $600 and a Shearwater Peregrine for $450. $1050 for a smartwatch and dive computer.

$1200 for a Mk 2 is MORE expensive than a smartwatch AND a dive computer.

Fenix 6 + Perdix AI ($935) + transmitter ($350) is $1885. A Mk2i + transmitter is $1900.

The Mk2 (with or without "i") is more expensive.

But, I agree with @ginti. If you have the money, and you want it - even if it's just because "it looks cool", then go for it.

I am fortunate that I could afford any of these right now. So, if it's a case of having the money and buying what you want, personally, I would get a Teric with transmitter and a Fenix 6 Sapphire. I don't like a big chunk on my wrist and the Descent is definitely a bigger chunk than the Fenix 6. Same reason I prefer the Teric to a Perdix. I'll pay more for smaller/more sleek.

This for sure has my interest as I have used the fenix watches in the past for hiking so would be able to use this for that as well so the price hit is not quite as bad. Will be interesting to see if the oceanic/shearwater ai transmitters work with it

It's not for CERTAIN. But, it is 99.99% that the Descent will not work with an Oceanic/Shearwater transmitter.

I am fortunate that I could afford any of these right now. So, if it's a case of having the money and buying what you want, personally, I would get a Teric with transmitter and a Fenix 6 Sapphire. I don't like a big chunk on my wrist and the Descent is definitely a bigger chunk than the Fenix 6. Same reason I prefer the Teric to a Perdix. I'll pay more for smaller/more sleek.

The catch here is some of us don't want multiple devices. We want one that's always with us. I would go out of my mind if I was constantly having to swap what I was wearing and tracking on multiple different platforms. I don't want multiple ecosystems. You completely ignore the value of working in a single ecosystem. I also own garmin accessories (chest strap, running dynamics pod) along with a garmin bike computer (cadence sensor, speed sensor and chest strap for that too). It all talks.

How do you get your Teric dive data into Garmin? You can't. But I can put my Garmin dive data into Subsurface.

@ginti inreach is a satalite messenger and tracker that they make that can also be used for sos messaging

Cool! I thought the mk1 has something similar, but maybe it doesn't. And I guess it works everywhere outside the water, without the need of any extra device, right? (like: lost in the mountain or in the sea)

Back
Top Bottom