Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a multi functional watch, I think I covers almost everything, and I think this is what the intention could be.

A everyday (dive)watch, with all sports training capabilities, music storage, Garmin pay. Navigation ect.

This is a watch, and not only a dive computer. So if you are already covered, this might not be for you.

Anyways I'm in, when it comes to Denmark.

I am really interested in understanding the differences between mk1 and mk2, nothing more. The mk1 has already A LOT of sport capabilities

I am really interested in understanding the differences between mk1 and mk2, nothing more. The mk1 has already A LOT of sport capabilities

Would seem that mk2 has a tad bigger display (1.4 in vs 1.2 in in mk1). As per the website, mk1 doesn't seem to have garmin pay. Seems boating functionalities are more developed in mk2.
But price difference between mk1 and mk2 w/o AI is like 700$/500Eur, and I find it hard to justify with just the above, so maybe we're missing something.

But price difference between mk1 and mk2 w/o AI is like 700$/500Eur, and I find it hard to justify with just the above, so maybe we're missing something.

I checked... 1399$ for the mk1?!?! :shocked: In Italy and France (and I bet in all Europe) Mk1 is 899€, which is around 1070$, but mk2 is unavailable here yet, maybe it will be cheaper here

Anyway, may it be possible that the oxygen sensor and the navigation features involve a lot of hardware, which consequently increase the price? Not sure, but I agree, that difference is hard to justify if one doesn't really need some specific features.

By the way, I am really interested in the oxygen sensor, since I will start alpinism as soon as possible (damn covid!), but wrist sensors on my experience do not work well - at least on me, the one in charge for heart rate monitoring are very unreliable.

I checked... 1399$ for the mk1?!?! :shocked: In Italy and France (and I bet in all Europe) Mk1 is 899€, which is around 1070$, but mk2 is unavailable here yet, maybe it will be cheaper here

Anyway, may it be possible that the oxygen sensor and the navigation features involve a lot of hardware, which consequently increase the price? Not sure, but I agree, that difference is hard to justify if one doesn't really need some specific features.

By the way, I am really interested in the oxygen sensor, since I will start alpinism as soon as possible (damn covid!), but wrist sensors on my experience do not work well - at least on me, the one in charge for heart rate monitoring are very unreliable.

My understanding was that these prices were in AUD since it's an Australian website. That brings them down to more comparable levels (so that Mk2 would be around 1500 Eur).

Still, oxygen sensor features e.g. in Samsung Galaxy Watch 3, which sells for some EUR350, so it doesn't seem to be the most expensive piece of hardware ever ;-).

So $1720 + $450 for the pod...ouch

Wonder if the altitude sensor is more accurate in the MK2. My MK1 kept telling me I was a few hundred feet below sea level to 600 feet above down in Cozumel.

Garmin Descent T1 Tankpod | Tankpod

Wonder if the altitude sensor is more accurate in the MK2. My MK1 kept telling me I was a few hundred feet below sea level to 600 feet above down in Cozumel.

looks a little less than that in the US, 1499 with AI and 1299 without AI and 399 for the sensor but still pricey. But if you think about it is in the same ball park as a teric and less than buying a teric and a multi-sport watch separately.

My understanding was that these prices were in AUD since it's an Australian website. That brings them down to more comparable levels (so that Mk2 would be around 1500 Eur).

Still, oxygen sensor features e.g. in Samsung Galaxy Watch 3, which sells for some EUR350, so it doesn't seem to be the most expensive piece of hardware ever ;-).

You're right, I missed it was Australian $.

About the costs.... I have no idea of the cost of oxygen sensors, if sensors with different qualities are around, and if it was a challenge to miniaturize the sensors in order to keep everything small enough. These are all possible factors for an increased price, although I doubt all of them... the brand and the "this is a badass watch" look like more realistic factors for that price.

As far as I understood, the altitude sensor is just a pressure; if they don't find a better way to measure altitude, no way sensors will be reliable.

looks a little less than that in the US, 1499 with AI and 1299 without AI and 399 for the sensor but still pricey. But if you think about it is in the same ball park as a teric and less than buying a teric and a multi-sport watch separately.

This is the reason why I bought the mk1; frankly speaking, I don't think the mk1 is an excellent dive computer, but it works and the cost compared to other trimix computer and sport watches (I need a new one) justify the purchase. As a sport watch, until now it worked amazingly, so in general I am satisfied.

But mk1 is still available and can do almost the same things of mk2... it seems to me that mk2 is only for marketing and/or for rich people with lots of free time who can basically do any kind of outdoor activity and/or people who work outdoors, like outdoors influencers, military personnel (can they use it?), etc.

Back
Top Bottom