NTSB CONCEPTION HEARING - THIS TUESDAY @ 10AM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it looks very complicated because it’s very complicated. It’s even harder to understand than the Coast Guard rules about what qualifies you on a ship to get licensed to do what and how much experience you need. And they appear very complex and there are not many explainers on it.

Thanks, does not make it any less complicated for the duffer

Maybe I can help, with a simple analogy.

Say you own an older house. When it was built it met the building codes of that time, but things have since moved on and it's current electrical system would not meet code now. But the current wiring is grandfathered

You are allowed say to change socket and switch plates, because these are decorative features that have no impact on the system.

But then you decide to upgrade the kitchen and want more sockets. This change puts you over the threshold for the number of allowable changes, thus you are required to upgrade the whole of your house electrics to current standards.

Now you have to install a new fuse board, new wires to each switch and socket in each room. BUT. Because you're cutting into the stud walls, you have to replace those parts, except you've changed enough of the walls, so other codes require you to replace the whole wall with newer flame retardant wood which leads you into having all the internal walls replaced.

So your minor kitchen upgrade turns into a whole house renovation and that's without the addition costs of defects you uncover (with these additional works) which have also to be repaired and meet the current codes.

You wish you hadn't started and the wife, kids and dog hate you.

Maybe I can help, with a simple analogy.

Say you own an older house. When it was built it met the building codes of that time, but things have since moved on and it's current electrical system would not meet code now. But the current wiring is grandfathered

You are allowed say to change socket and switch plates, because these are decorative features that have no impact on the system.

But then you decide to upgrade the kitchen and want more sockets. This change puts you over the threshold for the number of allowable changes, thus you are required to upgrade the whole of your house electrics to current standards.

Now you have to install a new fuse board, new wires to each switch and socket in each room. BUT. Because you're cutting into the stud walls, you have to replace those parts, except you've changed enough of the walls, so other codes require you to replace the whole wall with newer flame retardant wood which leads you into having all the internal walls replaced.

So your minor kitchen upgrade turns into a whole house renovation and that's without the addition costs of defects you uncover (with these additional works) which have also to be repaired and meet the current codes.

You watch HGTV too, huh?

But they will all be alive to hate you.

My son bought a somewhat older house (1970s) and had to do a lot of renovation such as you describe before he could move in. Once he moved in, he discovered that the house had aluminum wiring, something that had not been disclosed and, curiously, he was not required to replace. The danger in aluminum wiring in in the connections, and there are devices specifically made to replace those connections. He removed all the wiring he could get to and replaced all the connections--huge job. He paused in exhaustion with only the garage to do, which he put off for a year. When he finally got around to it, when he went into the last socket he needed to replace, he found one of the wire nuts was pretty nearly completely melted away. It is a miracle his house did not burn down.

It is a miracle his house did not burn down.

US Wiring Regs Suck. I know you've only playing with baby 110V, but still.

I'm currently designing a large US TV studio complex The battle has been won, Technical power will be generally to EU regs (including the colours). Thankfully!!

You watch HGTV too, huh?

Come across this in the real world far too often, been bitten once or twice too. Hate renovating existing buildings, you're always going to find a Sh1t storm - hence no fixed price contracts for me

I know you've only playing with baby 110V, but still.

Some of us like 220, and use it whenever we can. Whenever someone wants to use the stationary tools in my shop I warn them that they are 220 and will inflict damage unheard of outside a professional environment.

But they will all be alive to hate you.

My son bought a somewhat older house (1970s) and had to do a lot of renovation such as you describe before he could move in. Once he moved in, he discovered that the house had aluminum wiring, something that had not been disclosed and, curiously, he was not required to replace. The danger in aluminum wiring in in the connections, and there are devices specifically made to replace those connections. He removed all the wiring he could get to and replaced all the connections--huge job. He paused in exhaustion with only the garage to do, which he put off for a year. When he finally got around to it, when he went into the last socket he needed to replace, he found one of the wire nuts was pretty nearly completely melted away. It is a miracle his house did not burn down.
Surprising the insurance company doesn't mandate we do predictive maintenance on homes like thermography on panel boards, switches and plugs looking for loose connection possible fire starters.

Surprising the insurance company doesn't mandate we do predictive maintenance on homes like thermography on panel boards, switches and plugs looking for loose connection possible fire starters.
More to the point, they do not require it on boats either. I’ve disassembled some pretty ugly copper. What is required is mechanical joints or crimp connectors in wiring, friction connectors are not allowed, nor is solid wire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom