Replace or rebuild 17 year old Atomic M1 reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bertschb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have an Atomic M1 reg that I bought in 2003. It has several hundred dives on it. I'm thinking of sending it to the factory for service but wonder if I should just buy a new one instead. This time around I'd probably get the B2. Has anything changed in the construction of Atomic regs over the years that would make a new model desirable over my ancient model?

Thanks!

I would get it serviced then decide if you need or want a new one. If you get a new one, you'll have a serviced backup that you can either keep or sell.

When was it last serviced?

I presume you've already upgraded to the Jet seat piston. That was mandatory awhile back.

A rebuild would include a slightly redesigned connector bolt (both DIN and yoke) to improve oxygen safety. It protects the HP oring from direct exposure to high flow enriched gas. The main spring is now numbered after a few remote failures. I don't know if there was a slight alloy change, or if it was just a bad lot a decade ago. You'd probably get a new piston shaft spring as well.
If it were me, I'd base the decision on whether I'd kept it sealed or not. Several hundred salt water dives with an open ambient chamber means an increased likelihood that salt crystals and floaty coral sand have stuck to the film of lube along the wall of the reg body and scratched the land.
On the other hand, a factory rebuild will likely give you a reg that's good for another 20 years at half the cost of new, assuming the reg body isn't scratched. But sending it to the factory just for annual service won't get you anything a shop doesn't do, unless they toss in some free new components.
But B2 vs M1? It's really just a stainless vs Monel piston, respectively. Meh.

Tough decision without a peek inside.

That's what I meant to say...

Thanks for the feedback. Some additional information...

It was last serviced 7-8 years ago and last used 6 years ago (it's actually my wife's reg). If Atomic hasn't changed anything in the construction or materials, I think I'll get it serviced. if upgrades have been made over the years, I'd prefer to replace it.

None of the upgrades are significant. I am running two of their Ti regs that are probably as old if not older. You will not need a piston as it has always been a monel jet seat piston. Some plastic bits might need to be replaced like a knob or exhaust if chewed up. But there is no reason to replace it unless they find something majorly wrong. But even then one can just place that part.

Thanks for the feedback. Some additional information...

It was last serviced 7-8 years ago and last used 6 years ago (it's actually my wife's reg). If Atomic hasn't changed anything in the construction or materials, I think I'll get it serviced. if upgrades have been made over the years, I'd prefer to replace it.

No reason whatsoever to replace it at all!! Get it serviced, with any updates, and you will have a new regulator that will work for another 20 years. I have a 20 year old B2 that started as a B1 and then upgraded to a B2 and serviced every few years and it works like new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom