Buying mid - high end regulator vs replacing it every few years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noctshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m not new to scubaboard, but first time posting. I’d like to get your opinion on purchasing a new regulator, as I feel my LDS have bias opinions.

Background: I’m a recreational diver who dives about 15 - 20 times a year in 70+ deg F water, with max depth of around 80 - 90 feet. I’m looking to purchase a new regulator set, since I’ve been renting and I no longer want to share the same regulator with bunch of other people before me (I used to value convenience of rental, but covid19 changed my mindset). Most mid to high range regulator set (1st and 2nd stage primary) costs around USD $400 - 800. My local LDS charges $100 for service labor, with parts costing extra if I don’t have those lifetime warranty brands.

My thinking is:

Option 1 - Get a good regular set, such as Atomic Aquatics B2 ($750), Aqua Lung LEG3ND ($700), or Oceanic Delta 5 eDX ($510), and suck it up with the yearly service fee (or b-yearly for some brands like Atomic). Most of the mid to high end regulators are cold water ready, environmentally sealed, and come with balanced 1st and 2nd stage. Supposedly breathe better in deep water, but since I don't have a set, I can't compare it to rental.

Option 2 - Get a budget regulator set, such as Oceanic Alpha 10 + SPX ($200), Cressi XS2/AC2 ($200), Mares Rover 15X Regulator ($210), or Mares Prestige 2S Regulator ($185)

Most of the budget regulators have non-balanced piston 1st stage, have basic functions. They’re the ones you normally see at the dive shops for rental. I can practically buy a new set every 2 years, which nowadays is the normal service internal if I follow the proper cleaning procedures after every dive. Pretty much they’d be “disposable”, use it till it breaks or every 2 - 3 years.

Option 3 - Get a EDGE/HOG regulator and service myself with their service kits. However, my understanding is that you’d have to attend a mandatory training class in person. The class costs about $250. With the current pandemic, many shops/instructors are not offering that option right now, and even if they do, the nearest dive shop/instructor that offers that class is 8 hours away.

(Note - all the regulators I mentioned above are for references only, using current online prices, and not necessarily my pick list.)

I’m leaning toward option #2, as based on my current needs, there’s very little difference between a $200 regulator and a $700 regulator (I think), and I breathe fine with the rental regulator.

What do you guys think? I’d love to hear your opinions and your reasonings behind it.

I personally would get a decent mid range reg.

Something like the aqualung core or equivalent from other brand.

I also recommend a cold water reg though not necessary for your water temps if you ever decide to dive cold water you have a reg for it and the seal keeps crap from getting into the first stage.

Around here the rentals are balanced first stages.

If you want to service them yourself that's always a option just make sure to check if you need special tools.

At the level you are diving, it is highly unlikely that you will be able to notice any breathing difference in any of the regulators you have listed provided that they are serviced and tuned properly.

I would recommend getting a sealed diaphragm first stage, if anything because they are easier to keep clean with intermittent use in the salty stuff. I would avoid sealed pistons as they are expensive and annoying to seal *likely an extra $50/service to reseal an Atomic as an FYI*.

I would go with option 4 and get a @Deep Six Signature. You're in for $800, but you have a regulator that breathes as well or better than your Option 1's, BUT it includes the first service for free including parts, so that saves $100 just in labor for you. It has a 2-year service interval, so at some point in the next 4 years you can opt to take the service course. The service course is not required and won't void the warranty, BUT it gets you a free parts kit *you pay shipping* every 2 years which is unique to this brand.
This gives those regulators the lowest cost of ownership in the industry and they are VERY easy to service. Buy an IP gauge and learn how to use that and listen to tell when they need service, send it in for the first one, and you have 4 years to figure out if you want to DIY or not.

I personally would get a decent mid range reg.

Something like the aqualung core or equivalent from other brand.

I also recommend a cold water reg though not necessary for your water temps if you ever decide to dive cold water you have a reg for it and the seal keeps crap from getting into the first stage.

Around here the rentals are balanced first stages.

If you want to service them yourself that's always a option just make sure to check if you need special tools.

I was going to recommend the mid-range AquaLung as well.

At the level you are diving, it is highly unlikely that you will be able to notice any breathing difference in any of the regulators you have listed provided that they are serviced and tuned properly.

I would recommend getting a sealed diaphragm first stage, if anything because they are easier to keep clean with intermittent use in the salty stuff. I would avoid sealed pistons as they are expensive and annoying to seal *likely an extra $50/service to reseal an Atomic as an FYI*.

I would go with option 4 and get a @Deep Six Signature. You're in for $800, but you have a regulator that breathes as well or better than your Option 1's, BUT it includes the first service for free including parts, so that saves $100 just in labor for you. It has a 2-year service interval, so at some point in the next 4 years you can opt to take the service course. The service course is not required and won't void the warranty, BUT it gets you a free parts kit *you pay shipping* every 2 years which is unique to this brand.
This gives those regulators the lowest cost of ownership in the industry and they are VERY easy to service. Buy an IP gauge and learn how to use that and listen to tell when they need service, send it in for the first one, and you have 4 years to figure out if you want to DIY or not.

This is exactly why I bought the Deep6 signature set for myself back in August. I've had some questions and they are very responsive, which I appreciate...

From your list, the Mares 15x with Prestige or Rover second (it's the same second with different face plates) is a screaming bargain. The 15x is a very high quality balanced diaphragm first. If you aren't self-servicing, the only reason to go for a more expensive reg would be if you desired a different port setup. Likewise, the Prestige/Rover is a well-proven good breathing, tough second. The VAD feature really does eliminate the need for extra controls on the second. Also this generation of Mares regs has a 2-year service interval.

Where did you find that $210 price? I need a regset for my son. I was planning on servicing one of my older Mares sets, but at that price, I might get him a new one instead.

From your list, the Mares 15x with Prestige or Rover second (it's the same second with different face plates) is a screaming bargain. The 15x is a very high quality balanced diaphragm first. If you aren't self-servicing, the only reason to go for a more expensive reg would be if you desired a different port setup. Likewise, the Prestige/Rover is a well-proven good breathing, tough second. The VAD feature really does eliminate the need for extra controls on the second. Also this generation of Mares regs has a 2-year service interval.

Where did you find that $210 price? I need a regset for my son. I was planning on servicing one of my older Mares sets, but at that price, I might get him a new one instead.
The Mares Rover 15x is on sale on LeisurePro for $209.95. For 15-20 dives a year in warm water down to 90ft max it would make a great first regulator, no need to go more expensive in my opinion, at least for now.

If I were doing this from scratch again, I would go with the deep6. You can get a complete single tank reg set for just a little more than the cost of an Atomic B2 1st/2nd stage. Don't get me wrong, I love my Atomic, but you can get a quality reg for less money.

Back
Top Bottom