Infuriating (to me) scuba scene in a car commercial

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just laugh. I biggest joke is bullets being stopped by a car door. I was taught to judge where the enemy would be behind a wall and shoot through it.
Kneeling behind a car door is the perfect example of the difference between "cover" and "concealment".

Insurance people know how to make a commercial. U- S - A - A!!!!!! These guys look like real divers who set their own gear up. (2 minute commercial - divers show up several times)

USAA TV Commercial, 'I Switched'
It might be more accurate to say an insurance company focused on current and former military knows how to make a commercial with accurate dive gear scenes. :)

It might be more accurate to say an insurance company focused on current and former military knows how to make a commercial with accurate dive gear scenes. :)

If I remember correctly, they compensate members for appearing in their commercials. The person that filmed that probably just captured those guys doing their thing.

Exactly! Although it’s strange watching a commercial void of happy hapless hipsters marching around to mind numbing techno music. o_O

I'm sure someone in the previous seven pages of posts has probably already mentioned this, but ... video media (advertising, television, and film) and all about how a thing looks rather than being true to form. Having worked in that industry for several years, I can almost hear the director telling the art department he needs to be able to see that girl's face better, so find a way to re-route those hoses.

Besides, for what was likely a 1-second part of a 10- or 15-second ad, they're really only looking for impressions and not expecting perfection.

It occurs to me that the target audience is specifically NOT scuba divers, but people who entertain the fantasy that the only thing standing between them and that kind of adventurous spirit is the lack of 4-wheel drive. If you wanted to market the car to actual divers, you wouldn't show divers getting in the water; you'd show them effortlessly gearing up on the convenient tailgate, or stacking a bunch of tanks and scooters in the trunk, or easily wiping the water and sand from the rubber mats, or sighing contentedly as the seat warmers melt their frozen butt cheeks.

As far as regulators mounted backwards are concerned, I remember diving in the Azores 2 years ago, with a British guy, BSAC certified, who mounted his first stage that way.

Seeing my surprise, he told me it was standard BSAC procedures. We dived only once together so I've never figured he was kidding or not. Has anybody here BSAC experience and can confirm or not ?

I trained an SSI Dive Con. a couple of years ago who did this. When I pointed it out she looked at me like I had two heads and insisted that that was the way she was trained. She told me that was the way her shop taught students to attach the first stage.

Her actual comment has been lost, but she said the reasoning had something to do with it being safer because if there was an explosion, it would be directed away from the head.

Since she was otherwise a very competent diver, I'm inclined to believe that she was telling the truth...

I trained an SSI Dive Con. a couple of years ago who did this. When I pointed it out she looked at me like I had two heads and insisted that that was the way she was trained. She told me that was the way her shop taught students to attach the first stage.

Her actual comment has been lost, but she said the reasoning had something to do with it being safer because if there was an explosion, it would be directed away from the head.

Since she was otherwise a very competent diver, I'm inclined to believe that she was telling the truth...

Thank you for the info. It does make sense somehow, even if I'm bit unconvinced by the argument.

Sometimes they try to get it right.

Years ago I was hired to give private coaching to an actress so she could look like a competitive swimmer on screen. I got her doing a good looking dive start and flip turn but never got her freestyle looking like she had a powerful stroke.

Never saw the movie (it wasn’t exactly a blockbuster) so I don’t know how it turned out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom