Lost Improperly Tightened 2nd-Stage Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oddly enough, hand tightening 2nd stages was all the rage back in the mid/late 90's in Tech/Cave diving. I did it for years. "Purpose" was if you had a 2nd stage failure, especially on a deco bottle, you could just swap it with your primary and be back in business (and I actually had to do that once coming up from a 200' mix dive). Downside, they blow off. Today in tech/cave circles its not in vogue.
Yeah, the new cool way to accomplish this is to carry a stainless steel wrench to swap out that 2nd stage if needed. That way you have a mitigation for 2nd stage problems as well as preventing the 2nd from falling off. Have one; never needed it, yet.

Yeah, the new cool way to accomplish this is to carry a stainless steel wrench to swap out that 2nd stage if needed. That way you have a mitigation for 2nd stage problems as well as preventing the 2nd from falling off. Have one; never needed it, yet.
The XS Scuba Star tool I have is pretty solid. No rust yet, and it's been on many fresh-water dives, about 6 salt-water dives. It has all the right sizes for regulator hoses and plugs.

I tried some offbrand "scuba star tool" once that was "on sale" and it turned out to have all the wrong sizes.

I never carry it in the water but the Pandora tool has a titanium version. It is quite slim. Maybe you’d not get enough grip underwater though with its shape.

I once had the connection between the hose and the 2nd stage loose underwater and I noticed bubble coming out. At that time I was using the Atomic 2nd stage swivel. When pressurized this swivel becomes quite stiff and the hose becomes a lever arm that can easily unscrew the connection. This connection does need to be checked especially if using the swivel.

The XS Scuba Star tool I have is pretty solid. No rust yet, and it's been on many fresh-water dives, about 6 salt-water dives. It has all the right sizes for regulator hoses and plugs.

I tried some offbrand "scuba star tool" once that was "on sale" and it turned out to have all the wrong sizes.
I don't carry tools underwater, but in my save-a-dive kit I prefer to include a 6" adjustable wrench. They're more versatile and make a smaller package.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom