Boat Sank, PLB did not send signal, man found by passing boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suspect that he didn't keep the EPIRB serviced if that's what he had. A pleasure boater would more likely carry a PLB, and it sounds like he just didn't keep it handy, nor life jackets from the photo. Tell me again how silly I look wearing an inflatable vest on all moving boats.

Although the EPIRB may activate while submerged with the boat, it takes less than 4" of water to block the signal from reception by the satellite system.

This boater made a big mistake. When at sea, the ditch bag with EPIRB should come out and sit next to the captain within arms reach. Doubly so if you are going solo. I practice that religiously, mostly because of the risk of fire which can necessitate an instant abandon boat situation.

Corollary rule is everyone wears PFDs (inflatables) when on open water, and there is a PLB on my PFD's waist belt in addition to the EPIRB carried on the boat. (That same PLB goes in a canister with me for ocean diving.)

The sea is not to be trifled with, especially 80 miles out.

I suspect that he didn't keep the EPIRB serviced if that's what he had. A pleasure boater would more likely carry a PLB, and it sounds like he just didn't keep it handy, nor life jackets from the photo. Tell me again how silly I look wearing an inflatable vest on all moving boats.

You look silly. (Safe, but silly).

How common is it for people to have portable PLBs rather than one permanently installed on the boat?
Small boat like that I wouldn’t expect a float free EPIRB

I hear they are falling out of trees.
Sadly, not down here. Still to warm.

Or they are wearing fall protection while climbing the trees.

One article indicated the PLB was inside the boat and he was unable to retrieve it. Maybe right there beside a lifejacket?

Are any PLBs water activated?

Maybe the thread title is a bit misleading? Should it be "Boat sinks, PLB not used"?

One article indicated the PLB was inside the boat and he was unable to retrieve it. Maybe right there beside a lifejacket?

Maybe the thread title is a bit misleading? Should it be "Boat sinks, PLB not used"?
The audio in the Facebook link (1st link) says it was inside up high and that the uscg would not that it was still in the water in case it floated to the surface and activated.

It also says the guy was asleep when he was awakened by water coming over the stern.... And that he had been having engine problems...

There is more to this story...

Like, why did he not notify anyone via vhf he was having engine trouble....

The audio in the Facebook link (1st link) says it was inside up high and that the uscg would not that it was still in the water in case it floated to the surface and activated.

It also says the guy was asleep when he was awakened by water coming over the stern.... And that he had been having engine problems...

There is more to this story...

Like, why did he not notify anyone via vhf he was having engine trouble....
80 miles is too far for VHF.

None that I know of. He was just sloppy with his safety and it caught up to him.

Back
Top Bottom