Boat Sank, PLB did not send signal, man found by passing boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah. 15 at best on a typical power boat with the antenna on a t top, flybridge or pilot house. Blow boaters generally do better because they can put them on top of their mast. Coast guard station towers are usually pretty high up so you might be able to reach them at 30 or so miles out if you're near one.

But, yeah, it's line of sight and transmit power. I laugh at the Nautilus, because you're right, the average boat probably can transmit 7-10 miles, assuming the radio even works :rolleyes:, now imagine a tiny antenna with a person bobbing in the waves. A whole lot of limitations on those units.
According to their site the voice communication has a range of 2-6 miles and the distress signal has a range up to 34 miles. That’s better than zero. A lot of people who have been rescued at sea tell similar stories of being able to see boats/ ships or planes not too far away but not being seen and rescued by them.

According to their site the voice communication has a range of 2-6 miles and the distress signal has a range up to 34 miles. That’s better than zero. A lot of people who have been rescued at sea tell similar stories of being able to see boats/ ships or planes not too far away but not being seen and rescued by them.
The distress call still needs line of sight. The test they did was directly off a Coast Guard tower. It's better than nothing, and I guess a diver could carry both, but for me one device is enough to carry and I'd rather have the tool that has the greatest potential for rescue. I don't want to hope the stars align and a boat is nearby.

Tech issues aside, kudos to ANGELES and her crew for spotting such a small target without a known position from AMVER. On a big container ship, visibility forward is not that good. They must have really been looking hard.
Or they had their eyes peeled for some of those square grouper down here...

They might have seen it first on radar.
That's a really small target...

And look at all the other noise on that bottom screen.

I'm just saying he was sitting on top of his anchor, barely out of the water. That's a small target.
He would ping. He's eight feet out of the water. The reports stated a crew member happen to see him though. He got lucky.

EoB-vczW4AAy3-z?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom