Atlantic Coast recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

godive1

Registered
Reaction score
Will be spending 4 days somewhere north of miami in early January. Location to be determined by best diving. Was wondering the best area between Miami and Jupiter for an experienced diver/ametuer photographer to get some good shots within a short period of time. Have been reviewing a lot of posts and am a bit overwhelmed. Would like sharks but not if it meant swimming over sand or rubble the whole time if we miss them. Been diving for 35 years, 20 years in Roatan, so not interested in common fish.

If you can further define what subjects (other than sharks?) you are seeking, you will probably get advice that is fine tuned to your desires. The change in ecosystem between Miami and Jupiter is almost unbelievably dramatic.

I think the Boynton reefs are better than the ones off Pompano. Ft Lauderdale has a lot of wrecks. Right now you have a grate chance of seeing Lemon and Nurse sharks. We saw a Sailfish leap out of the water off Boynton last week. Visibility right now is hit or miss.

I remember it was hard to go out last January and February because the seas seemed to never be below 6 feet.

January is right in the middle of the Lemon Shark aggregation off Jupiter. If you want sharks that would be my recommendation.

Hi @godive1

I would think your best chance to see sharks would be in Jupiter. I have used Jupiter Dive Center for 11 years, there are other good operators that others could recommend. As others have mentioned, your visit will be early in Lemon Shark aggregation. The dive at Lemon Drop is a very good opportunity to dive with many Lemon Sharks. On Fridays, the 1st dive of the 3 tanker is often at Deep Ledge, this is a chance to dive with Bull Sharks. There are very frequently Reef Sharks on the reef dives, Lemon Sharks are there too.

I agree with @Biotech Diver the reefs of Boynton Beach are my favorite. Sharks sightings are considerably less frequent than in Jupiter. If you have a chance to do the Castor wreck, there is a nice endemic population of Goliath Grouper and a couple of Bull Sharks are often seen cruising the perimeter. I generally use Underwater Explorers, but Kevin has not been running recently due to Covid and school obligations. I frequently go out with Loggerhead and Starfish.

As others have mentioned, the winter sea conditions are highly variable. Boynton Inlet tends to be the most affected, Jupiter is intermediate. When seas are up, I often can get out of West Palm, the most forgiving of the 3 inlets. West Palm has nice reefs and wrecks. Governor's River Walk and the Mitzpah, Ana Cecilia Corridor can both be nice. I generally go out with Narcosis, sometimes Walker's Dive Charters. Again, there are several additional good operators

If you can't get out into the ocean, the Blue Heron Bridge can be a very nice backup dive

Sorry, I can't help you with the diving south of Boynton Beach. Hope you have a good visit, let us all know how it went.

Thanks all. I know it was vague but not knowing the area. I was wondering on January weather and seas. Will keep and eye on it. Thanks again

Thanks all. I know it was vague but not knowing the area. I was wondering on January weather and seas. Will keep and eye on it. Thanks again

Predicting wind and waves in the Winter months in South Florida is notoriously challenging. There are two recent threads dedicated to this.

Interpreting Weather Forecasts for South Florida Dive Boats

What percentage of dives get cancelled due to weather?

In summary, it's hit or miss on any given day from November through April. It's best to be flexible when planning long distance travel to south FL for diving vacations during that time frame.

I went out with this op Sunday before last and enjoyed it. They are a cattle boat op but the experience was good for me. The site does have a map and descriptions of a bunch of dive sites in the area.

Home - South Florida Diving Headquarters

I went out with this op Sunday before last and enjoyed it. They are a cattle boat op but the experience was good for me. The site does have a map and descriptions of a bunch of dive sites in the area.

Home - South Florida Diving Headquarters
I’ve dove with them many times and have nothing but positive things to say about them. They are more suited for experienced divers because they just drop you over the reef or the wreck then pick you up when you come back the the surface. The deckhands are great! One of them went back into the water and found my lobster snare I dropped while climbing up the boat ladder. I doubled the tip to thank her!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom