Question for Mexican Cavers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mexico is definalty on my bucketlist, after I get a rebreather lol.
Why? Don’t get me wrong, CCR in a cave is great, but Mexico is far superior to Florida in terms of open circuit dive length and depths. It’s hard to argue for helium in the average Mexican cave depths but really easy to argue the safety advantage for 30/30 or 21/35 on up in the main tourist areas in Madison/JB/Ginnie/LR/etc.

I'm gonna try to find the videos ill let you know if I find them and ill post a link to them but I believe it said % not M or FT. Mexico is definalty on my bucketlist, after I get a rebreather lol.
There is little or no reason to put off going to MX before getting a CCR. In fact its so damn shallow a CCR is more of a hinderance than a help.

Why? Don’t get me wrong, CCR in a cave is great, but Mexico is far superior to Florida in terms of open circuit dive length and depths. It’s hard to argue for helium in the average Mexican cave depths but really easy to argue the safety advantage for 30/30 or 21/35 on up in the main tourist areas in Madison/JB/Ginnie/LR/etc.
There is little or no reason to put off going to MX before getting a CCR. In fact its so damn shallow a CCR is more of a hinderance than a help.
Reasoning is I would rather have the 2-4K towards a rebreather before a trip. I’m not gonna waste my time with a rebreather down there. I would rather get a rebreather before making the trip down south.

My bet is its 55M for an air back gas MOD, followed by a guess of a partly used 100% deco gas being topped up with air and the divers accepting it since the deco stops would probably be shallower than 21M or a sloppy mix and not wanting to bother with a refill

SavDiver any luck with the video links? Now I am curious.

SavDiver any luck with the video links? Now I am curious.
I found one of them but it's hard to tell if it's 32 or 71 cause of the person writing and video isn't focused on divers face not the tank.

Nope, it was defiantly 55% cause it was a piece of masking tape.

I found one of them but it's hard to tell if it's 32 or 71 cause of the person writing and video isn't focused on divers face not the tank.

Hhhmmm. Starting to confirm my suspicions that it's mistaken identity.
I think we'll end up finding out it was 32% on all

Mexico would be a great place to get practice in cave diving with a rebreather, as others have mentioned it's just not a place where economics of a rebreather would apply.

I have about 40 cave dives in Mexico, I cannot think of any dive in which I turned when I got to thirds. In fact, I limited my dives to minutes of penetration. As a relatively inexperienced cave diver, I limited my penetration to 45 minutes and one jump. That is plenty of beautiful cave to see in Mexico. I would often surface after 1.5 hr dives and then just be at thirds. My average depth was like 18 feet.

Absolutely beautiful place, maybe another reason for a rebreather would be to lessen the percolation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom